• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Functional B12 deficiency?

No, I had some life stressors and some anxiety from them before the skin burning started, but the high anxiety started and has increased in the last week because I have been unable to resolve the skin burning.

Gondwanaland

It increased your adrenaline and your COMTs are slow to breake it down. Choline and Magnesium help with that in general.

Have you noticed anything from the 2nd niacin dose?

Just took a third dose and not really noticing anything new. Still burning, anxiety is high and I'm shaky. Definitely too much adrenaline. Wondering if the burning could be from serotonin? I was reading something you said awhile back about serontonin syndrome. Not sure it applies, but was just pondering whether the high dose folate could have caused too much serotonin with my SNPs. Taking some magnesium. Don't have any choline except for eggs.

Gondwanaland

Don't have any choline except for eggs.
Too much methyfolate in them for you right now. EDIT and sulfur!
Wondering if the burning could be from serotonin?
It is a possibility. Actually too much of every neurotransmitter!

Don't overdo with magnesium since your urine is so alkaline. Go slow.

BTW how often and how much have you been urinating during the crisis?

Oops. Already had a couple of egg yolks in a smoothie. Just took a small amount of magnesium powder.
I have been urinating frequently, but I have been drinking a lot. The urination seems to be in reasonable proportion to fluid intake.

So would the niacin help reduce neurotransmitters or make that worse? Maybe gaba would be good. I don't have any on hand.

Okay. Actually I think I'm a little better. Hard to tell because the burning ebbs and flows, but it is thankfully ebbing some right now. I feel calmer and have quit shaking. The angular cheiltis that started when I missed a folate dose yesterday is getting worse, but I'm thinking I'll take a little more niacin before bed and maybe some benadryl and stay off the folate/b12 and then see how I am tomorrow.

Thank you for clarifying my terminology. I didn't understand that. I am heterozygous for
MTHFR C677T
MTHFR 03P39P
MTHFR A129BC

These are the only SNPs that are on the Genetic Genie report, so the only ones I know about.

On another note, does anyone think burning like a sunburn that occurs for hours and in different locations at different times could be menopause? I am perimenopausal and was due to have a period this last week, but didn't which is not unusual for me. I have bioidentical hormones which I have been off for the past 5 days per my nurse practitioner's instructions for 5 days off once per month at the time for my period. I started them again this morning. But this situation all started over a week ago. Also the little bit of very mild numbness that comes and goes in my palms doesn't really fit.

Dosed niacin 4 times yesterday evening at 50mg each time with 1 to 2 hours in between. Couldn't really tell anything, maybe some reduction in anxiety. No flushing. Took benadryl and slept well. No burning skin when first rising. Then mild sensations like nerves waking up in a limb after it has "gone to sleep". Burning started increasing about 2 hours after waking. I dosed 50 mg of niacin again which caused a major flush this time. Then I fell into a drugged-like sleep for a couple of hours not quite all the way asleep, but very relaxed and comfortable. Burning got intense again after waking (in back of neck and back of armpits). Took magnesium this morning and have been drinking passionflower tea periodically. Have had very mild leg cramp off and on (more just a little sore tight spot), weakness and some heart palpitations (hard to separate out what is anxiety). Ate one banana for potassium.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Thank you for clarifying my terminology. I didn't understand that. I am heterozygous for
MTHFR C677T
MTHFR 03 P39P
MTHFR A1298C
P39P doesnt' have an impact, so that can be ignored completely.

MTHFR C677T +/- reduces enzyme activity to 65% of normal. But that's, well, normal compared to the general population. Most people have various MTHFR mutations reducing its activity around 30%.

MTHFR A1298C +/+ might reduce gene activity further, but only if you got the + from a different parent than you got the C677T + from. So your gene activity would be at 30% or 65%, depending.

In any event, supplementing a normal amount of methylfolate (not folic acid) or eating a fair bit of veggies in your diet has been shown to compensate for the risks associated with these mutations.

Thought I would post one more time in case someone else can benefit from what I have learned. Yesterday I had a consultation with a naturopath who specializes in genetics. She feels certain that my homozygous COMT mutations caused the issue, so Gondwanaland, you gave me good advice to stop the supplements. Thank you so much.

She said I have been overmethylating from the high folate supplementation and creating a build up of neurotransmitters which COMT could not break down fast enough and that unbroken down neurotransmitters go to inflammatory pathways. She quoted research on firefighters having burning and numbness from adrenaline build up.

The numbness is gone now. The burning has resided considerably. I am advised to stay low key, eat frequent small meals so that low blood sugar doesn't create more adrenaline. I have seen a Dr. of Chinese medicine and gotten 2 acupuncture treatments for detox and anxiety, as well as some anti-anxiety herbs. This has seemed very helpful. Also I am advised to do sauna treatments. I fortunately have a friend with a sauna and felt better after my first one yesterday. Not sure if the sauna helps with the neurotransmitters or just other detoxing.

I will be starting a revised supplement protocol under the naturopath's care.