1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Embracing Change - ME and the International Classification of Diseases
The WHO ICD featured recently in an online article (since withdrawn), which heightened patient concern over what might happen when the current ICD-10 is finally revised. N.A.Wright provides a timely summary of this international classification system, considers some of the issues...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fry Laboratories XMRV/MLV Findings

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by JohnnyD, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Senior Member

http://frylabs.com/xmrv.php

"Fry Laboratories is in approximate agreement with an NIH study [23] where approximately 7.7% of an unselected population displaying detectable levels of murine leukemia viruses (MLV) related proviruses. We have sequenced fragments of these patient-derived genomes and have discovered novel variants of the XMRV and MLV-related viruses beyond what is published in the literature. Little is known about MLV viruses and the literature is not resolved about its health effects. We have detected it at a non-trivial rate and it is plausible that XMRV and related viruses represents a major health concern in the United States."
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member

Interesting..it's coming out more and more now. Seems they can't deny it anymore.
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yes, more and more labs and researchers seem to get involved. I have the feeling this could turn into something bigger than HIV (unfortunately)...
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

How respectable are Fry Laboratories? There are slightly dodgy places about offering tests... an endorsement from somewhere like that would be meaningless. (Not saying this is the case with Fry - I've not heard of them).
  5. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Well, that's a good question. I found this blog about the laboratory:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2008/07/fry-labs-what-are-hemobartonella.html

So this doesn't seem to be a big lab and it might even be called dodgy by some (but this is just one source).

Nonetheless, I have the feeling more and more people are getting involved in XMRV and more studies are popping up and that's great (so long as there are also big names involved, with good reputations).
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for the googling Jemal.
  7. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Senior Member

Yes, thanks for googling Jamal. I posted this is haste without googling. Maybe this post should be removed. We don't want to give credence to fly by night labs trying to hop on the band wagon. It looks like they used PCR only and are only testing healthy people?? Doesn't seem quite right. The perils of the internet.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The great thing about forums like this is that people can discuss and examine the scraps of info they've found. It's worth posting stuff like this up just so that you can get a range of opinions.
  9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    It's good to dig into this stuff and get it out....My take on the XMRV Buzz page

10. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    As the LymeMD blog points out, Fry Labs don't post any evidence of their findings, and there doesn't appear to be any information saying that they are publishing any papers. So we need to keep in mind that this is a commercial set-up, selling their products. There's no peer-reviewing involved, and no professional oversight of the XMRV testing, as far as I can tell, except that they "participate in both CAP and API quality control programs", but I don't know exactly how much oversight they give. As we don't know anything about their methodology, their findings, or any of their research, we can't tell how accurate their testing might be, or how significant their research findings are, and it might well be possible that they are getting false readings. I would have thought that if Fry Labs are more advanced than Lo and Alter (world class virologists) in their research, then they might like to publish their findings (i.e. their sequencing results etc.)
  11. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I agree that Fry Labs seems to be very small and i have no idea neither wheter they (he ;-) ) can be trusted or not. But nevertheless i always like to see someone who offers a test for money make that sort of claims. Because i think if you sell something and do so by giving misleading information to your customers you are running a bigger risk for legal consequences than if you only do sloppy science or even deliberately fake your results. So you would only do that if you're stupid or prepared to run away or very clever and have found a way to do it without being fraud. I wish it would be a bigger lab and i would not go and buy their test, but still i prefer that news to silence.

See more popular forum discussions.