1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Frontiers of Retrovirology - A Retrovirus Conference

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Overstressed, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    A Retrovirology Conference is organised in Amsterdam, from October 3-5, 2011. The program is quiet interesting, I think. Here's why(I think):

"The research field of retrovirology is still booming. HIV affects 33 million individuals worldwide and 25 million have died from AIDS. A quarter of a century after the discovery of HIV-1, a curative or a vaccine strategy for AIDS remains elusive. The XMRV retrovirus of mouse origin has recently been implicated in diverse human diseases. HTLV and the oncogenic properties of diverse animal retroviruses remain an important topic of cancer research. The sequencing of several host genomes has provided an intriguing picture of the role played by endogenous retroviruses in genome evolution."

and

"11.00 - 12.30
    Session 4: Endogenous retroviruses and XMRV
    Chairperson: Kuan-Teh Jeang
    11.00 - 11.30
    Mouse and human xenotropic gammaretroviruses and their XPR1 receptor
    Christine Kozak - NIAID, Bethesda, USA
    11.30 - 12.00
    Mechanism for XMRV neurotoxicity
    Dusty Miller - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, USA"

And the link: http://www.frontiers-of-retrovirology.com/index.html

Best regards,
    OS.
    SOC likes this.
  2. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Thanks, Overstressed. I just don't understand why anyone would care about "mechanisms for XMRV neurotoxicity" if this virus doesn't exist in humans. There would be better things they could use their time and money for then.
  3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Overstressed for posting - anything to do with/advance in Retrovirology has to add to the pool in understanding.

See more popular forum discussions.