• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Frontiers of Retrovirology - A Retrovirus Conference

Overstressed

A Retrovirology Conference is organised in Amsterdam, from October 3-5, 2011. The program is quiet interesting, I think. Here's why(I think):

"The research field of retrovirology is still booming. HIV affects 33 million individuals worldwide and 25 million have died from AIDS. A quarter of a century after the discovery of HIV-1, a curative or a vaccine strategy for AIDS remains elusive. The XMRV retrovirus of mouse origin has recently been implicated in diverse human diseases. HTLV and the oncogenic properties of diverse animal retroviruses remain an important topic of cancer research. The sequencing of several host genomes has provided an intriguing picture of the role played by endogenous retroviruses in genome evolution."

and

"11.00 - 12.30
Session 4: Endogenous retroviruses and XMRV
Chairperson: Kuan-Teh Jeang
11.00 - 11.30
Mouse and human xenotropic gammaretroviruses and their XPR1 receptor
Christine Kozak - NIAID, Bethesda, USA
11.30 - 12.00
Mechanism for XMRV neurotoxicity
Dusty Miller - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, USA"

And the link: http://www.frontiers-of-retrovirology.com/index.html

Best regards,
OS.

eric_s

Thanks, Overstressed. I just don't understand why anyone would care about "mechanisms for XMRV neurotoxicity" if this virus doesn't exist in humans. There would be better things they could use their time and money for then.

Enid

Thanks Overstressed for posting - anything to do with/advance in Retrovirology has to add to the pool in understanding.