1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by George, Sep 7, 2010.

1. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Oooo nooo, I've run out of chocolate supplies - but I don't want to go out in case I miss anything!!! Wonder if George has any doggie biscuits spare?? AARgh - should have stocked up on essential supplies before today.

Roll on UK results in an hour or so!!!! I'm pretty sure the UK's '"1,000 % sure there is no XMRV in the UK" McC is at the Conference & wondering about the UK psychs? Would luurrvv to see their faces when Dr Mikovits gets up there with the UK results ... tee hee ... rooolll onnnn ....

2. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Researchers should consider looking at Pap smears in women since it's relatively non-invasive and safe, besides which some women are getting Paps regularly anyway. There was only one female monkey in the XMRV primate study but they found XMRV in vaginal/ cervical tissue. The pathologist involved also mentioned "vaginal washings" (fluid from the vagina) but last I checked, they had submitted but not published their findings to journals yet.

3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    ooh... this is interesting...

Amy Dockser Marcus's latest Wall Street Journal blog...
    ‘World Class Virus Hunter’ To Head Up the Latest XMRV Study
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/09...-head-up-the-latest-xmrv-study/?KEYWORDS=xmrv

It is now out of the CDC's hands!!!

This study is being commissioned by NIH, overseen by NIAIDS and run by Prof Lipkin.

And if the CDC gets negative results again then the scientific community will see them as just being incompetent... and the individuals involved won't want that sort of reputation!

4. Berthe

Berthe Senior Member

near Antwerp
    Well now it makes sense.
    Dr. De Meirleir has a presentation on the 22nd of sept. for the Belgium ME/CVS patints and at the bottom of the invitation there was a really weird comment.
    In the price included are 1 free drink and 1 free urine-test.:eek:
    I'm not kidding.

Love,
    Berthe

5. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Here's the kicker, they already did! The Cleveland Clinic ran research on women specificly looking for possible cancers. But we never heard anything else about it. Theres a thread on it buried somewhere around here. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Now George... behave yourself!
    You know what a mess you make of the forum when you go around digging up things you buried earlier!
    There's a good doggy! ;)

7. George

South Texas
    ROFLMTO!!!! But I promise to share. (grins)

8. Rita

Rita Senior Member

In which city in Spain are you? Do you know there is a research team about XMRV and immunological abnormalities of CFSs in Spain, in Barcelona? Hospital Germans Tries i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona,Catalonia.
    I desire to you a good stay and not very hard winter

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Some weird parties we get invited to...

10. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Fauci's name makes me nervous, didn't he support Straus back in the day? I think he probly knew full well there was a viral component. It all sounds hopeful though, you think Fauci et al figure they have to go with the flow now and act intrigued by discovery of a "new" virus?

11. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    He should make you nervous - as a bureacrat he's been in charge of ignoring and panning ME/CFS for years. Everyone who's been in charge for the last 10 years should make everyone nervous....

That said, he's an important figure and giving this study to a figure of this magnitude is simply amazing. I don't think things get covered up at this level, these are very rigorous scientists - if they do this work, I would think it would be done to the highest standards. I don't think you can get away with crap science with the world looking on.

I think this has to be good news although I'll wait for those that know better than me to chime in......

If it works out then you have validation from absolutely the highest levels of medical research.........personally I think its incredible that they took this step.

12. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK

Thankyou for all your hard work George. :cool: Heres a little present from Muffin.

[​IMG]

13. Bob

Bob

South of England
    There was me being innocent and naive, for a moment, thinking that everything was going to be wonderful from this moment forwards, and that everyone was now on our side, and that I could start to rebuild my trust in human nature once again!

I think 'cautiously hopeful' is what I'm feeling right now... and a tiny bit excited! Oh, OK, very excited! Cautiously very excited! lol (I'll shut up now)

It is looking quite hopeful isn't it!

14. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    ohhhh s**t ... i dont think im going to trust that study as i dont know if we can trust Anthony Fauci (and hence who he's choosen to do it).

Please read Anthony Fauci's CFS/ME history http://www.oslersweb.com/blog.htm?post=635123 . If this virus thing is correct, his past in the way he's dealt previously with ME/CFS is damaging to him... so it would be in his better interests for it not to be found.

So the confirmation study they want done to sort out the mess of conflicting results.. is being done by someone who has been recommended by one who has had 25 yr negative involvement in CFS/ME.... **im feeling horrified at this thought**

This isnt much different to putting the whole confirmation thing into Wessely hands and getting him to find someone to do that study!!! So what will happen next.. if a conspiratory is going on... next study may come out negative... and then everyone in the world drops it except the WPI.

15. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

agree, Ian Lipkin discovered West Nile virus among other achievements...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_lipkin

16. George

South Texas
    Lunch break is over!!!! whoohoo! From CC

17. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Yes, and what I am wondering, remembering Osler's Web, if those guys that met with Rivvka (sp?) and Bob before the conference, the meeting Collins set up with cfs folks, well they said people could send in greivances etc Should we send in that concern about Fauci, because weren't they saying at that meeting that Straus and Fauci had worked on behalf of CFS? I imagine those guys don't know the history, the govmt guys at the meeting yesterday. I want to make sure Collins knows.....what I can't figure out is if its better for us to highlight the past to them or let it slide.....one thought is how sometimes its good to give people an out if you want things to change. I imagine Mikovitz knows it all and I wonder what sort of things she has told Alter etc about the past if that opp has come up or seemed pertinent, useful.

18. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    The good thing is that everybody's going to be all over this study. It's going to have to be very rigorous and done correctly or people are going to howl. Fauci is the figurehead - Lipkin is the key........I actually think he's already studying XMRV and CFS....... He's a biggie - check out his biography. You don't push guys and Alter and Lipkin around.....it just doesn't happen...

Besides they have such an easy out with XMRV - it wasn't even discovered until 2006. They can very easily say we never could knew the cause because it hadn't been discovered it yet! This is absolutely perfect scenario for them to slide out of this looking good.

19. George

South Texas
    more from Frank

20. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    aren't they off sced? wasn't ruscetti to speak at 1115 am? eta -- apparently so. huber is being tweeted about now. she was sced for 1145 start so 45min
    - hour late ?

per mindy's blog --- does that mean presentations that aren't yet published we will not hear about?

See more popular forum discussions.