• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Its actually plausible for an antibody test to be positive without exposure. We dont know enough about this group of viruses yet to proclaim anything with 100% certainty. There is a reason why they have these conferences with differing opinions and why science is science. Its also worth re-mentioning that having antibodies is not eqaul to having an active infection either but rather evidence of exposure.

Please let the professionals figure this out without belittling a researcher who seems to be in it to further our knowledge of the illness. From what I know about this particular researcher is that they dont come from the psychobaber club. Nobody is saying you have to agree with her but please respect her voice and appreciate its contribution to the process. Its actually good to have someone constantaly questioning the methods. In the end science is stronger.

alex3619

Hi, I have been trying to refresh the Cleveland Clinic twitter webpage and my browser can't find it any more. I have tried twenty times in twenty minutes - no joy. Have we broken it? Is the internet going to melt down today? Is this going to happen during the live Q & A? I noticed earlier that the NIH live feed page had 46 viewers earlier with its other live broadcasts. What is the bet the XMRV workshop gets hundreds, thousands or breaks?

Bye
Alex

PS Two hours and eighteen minutes to go...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
There's an hour in between the first Dr. Mikovits Tweet and the second set. That's a lot of time folks!

Yeah, what did she say?! What did she say?!

But XMRV is in the UK, it's official... roll on a proper press release...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi, I have been trying to refresh the Cleveland Clinic twitter webpage and my browser can't find it any more. I have tried twenty times in twenty minutes - no joy. Have we broken it?

I'm still getting that page but when I refresh it, the latest tweet is still listed as having been posted as long ago as it was before I refreshed (e.g. it's still "posted 20 secs ago" ten minutes later). Then maybe an hour later I'll hit it and get a whole bunch of updates at once. Weird.

ixchelkali

Fauci's name makes me nervous, didn't he support Straus back in the day? I think he probly knew full well there was a viral component. It all sounds hopeful though, you think Fauci et al figure they have to go with the flow now and act intrigued by discovery of a "new" virus?

Let's just say that if the history of CFS were divided between good guys and bad guys, Fauci wouldn't be on the good guy list. It makes me nervous, too, but maybe it's a good thing to know who you need to watch closely. I'm open to results; trust will take a little longer.

Lynn

Mikovits says her research on UK patients was just unblinded & she’s working on a manuscript for publication w/more details #XMRV #MECFS

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Anyone notice that the run time on the end of the session Q and A is going to be 2 hours long??? Maybe they are asking folks not to tweet info till the Q and A session.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Can't stand the waiting, I'm going to have to go and watch Midsomer Murders for half an hour (it might stand in for chocolate, pictureofhealth!). :Retro smile:

SOC

Is some generous person planning to summarize the Q&A? I'm afraid if I curl up in the sun for a little catnap, I'll miss everything.

Not that I could follow and hour or two of audio-only info anyway......

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Can't stand the waiting, I'm going to have to go and watch Midsomer Murders for half an hour (it might stand in for chocolate, pictureofhealth!). :Retro smile:

Don't worry Sasha - I snuck out shortly after that post to get some chocolate - heh heh! Munch munch ... Too bad I can't pass it around the forum. "Midsomer Murders" on tonight, with John Nettles? Well that's it - I'm off.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Anyone notice that the run time on the end of the session Q and A is going to be 2 hours long??? Maybe they are asking folks not to tweet info till the Q and A session.

I'm hoping we get 2 hours but I expect that's just the duration for which the Video Conferencing was scheduled. For example, to prevent the last 5 minutes from being dropped because they didn't schedule enough time.

Rita

Yes!!!:victory:

I think this are the more important words today for the moment.
It means that now the research and the work will be towards the patients, not against them.These are words of recognition, at last.

I hope some of you will be so kind to translate in this wonderful forum some of the more important Q & A, for the patients that cant understand the spoken-American English of the researchers who spoke so quickly that is difficult to
understand, like Dr.Mikovits, that is a speaking bullet.