1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by George, Sep 7, 2010.

1. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
  2. George

South Texas
    From the Cleveland Clinic Twitter site a blow by blow

and

3. guest

guest Guest

Thanks a lot. What does it mean that the INTERCEPT Blood System inactivates XMRV/MLV?

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    Hi. It means there is a treatment to make contaminated XMRV/MLV blood, safe.

5. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the links. Is anyone else twittering/liveblogging?

The INTERCEPT system is for treating donated blood. It's not a treatment for us sick people, unfortunately.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That is, it's not a treatment for people who are already infected (bummer, obviously).

7. George

South Texas
    If I'm reading this poster correctly

So they used an actual person and not Dr. Silvermans clone. The wording is a bit confusing though on weither they infected the blood with a WPI cell line that they created from a CFS person who they had tested and found to have XMRV and PMLV-RV's or if they had a cell line that they had created and they added the CFS persons blood. Course it's probably just my foggy brain but it really does look as if they are able to test for all MLV varients.

According to this they can get a titer reading on the samples??? That's a couple of steps ahead of the best news we've heard. This would suggest not only being able to get positives but to get the amount of virus in the persons system. WOW???!!!???

Does anyone know what this means???

8. George

South Texas
    I haven't seen any other tweeters yet just XMRV global action updating facebook and the Cleveland Clinic Tweets.

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Great catch, George - and while waiting for the next update from the XMRV workshop, I note that according that that Twitter feed, "Designer Diane Von Furstenberg helps Clinic to design new hospital gown". Surreal.

10. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    From FACEBOOK:
    The CFIDS Association of America: Today and tomorrow, more than 200 researchers from around the world will gather on the NIH campus to share the latest data about XMRV. Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Director, will give opening remarks today. The final Q&A session will be webcast to the public tomorrow at 5:15 p.m. CEO Kim McCleary and scientific director Su...zanne Vernon, PhD, will represent the CFIDS Association. Here is a link to more details: http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

and a reply to this message from Andrea Whittemore: Looking forward to Dr. Ruscetti's talk. Finally things will be put to rest.

11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Am I right in thinking that the CFS stuff is this afternoon and that all day tomorrow is general MLV stuff and MLV/cancer? And then that Q&A for the whole workshop content?

12. George

South Texas
    (Huge dog eyes) HUH! slobber, slobbrer, drool, drool, That sounds promising!!!!!!

13. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    No, today is virology and host factors, tomorrow is cancer, CFS and wrap-up. The best goodies will be the second half of tomorrow.

14. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I hope they give Dr Mikovits a standing ovation at the end of this conference!
    :victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

15. Bob

Bob

South of England
    oh... this bit is interesting... what could this mean? any ideas anyone?
    Does anyone know what the subject of Ruscetti's presentation is?
    Has he got something big up his sleave that I don't know about?
    It just says Ruscetti = "Invited lecture on Chronic fatigue syndrome" in the program.

16. Bob

Bob

South of England
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Oh! Thanks, urbantravels and Bob. I had that all backwards.

Still, I see they've got a poster session on now during the coffee break - I wonder if any CFS stuff that has been postered will be in today's poster session. I hope there might be and that someone might Twitter it out - or that they might even start sending out press releases. We were discussing Dr Cheney's (?or one of those big guys) study that was going to be a poster on another thread - he was saying the results were "sensational" or something like that, so if that's the quality of the posters then I hope they're on top of sending good info to the press.

18. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Whoever is twittering for the Cleveland Clinic is really not producing a lot of tweets. Unclear on the concept - Twitter is all about realtime instant gratification!

19. George

South Texas
    (giggles and grins) Yeah, somebody needs to take his phone away and show him how it's done!

2:41 Tweet: uhhh just saw judy, she's wearing green today, looking good
    2:45 Tweet: That Dr. Coffin is talking to Dr. X it could be serious
    2:53Tweet: Big poster of mice on the wall, will get picture to post later
    3:01 Tweet:Bald guy is handing out papers, I'll try to get one and sum it up for you

(big grins) They probably made everybody put up their phones!

20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I agree, it is most ungratifying!

It seems weird to have an institution tweeting, though. Sort of like the Queen trying to do it (willing to be modern but only distantly grasping the concept).

See more popular forum discussions.