1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FROM MOOD DISORDERS TO MCS: A NEUROINFLAMMATORY MODEL

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Marco, May 21, 2013.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Rich thought one of the causes glutamate induced excitotoxicity was due to low glutathione in the astrocytes.
    I think this is the study Rich is referring to in regards to decreased glutathione measured in the brain of CFS/ME
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22281935

warriorseekspeace likes this.
  2. Annabel

Annabel

Lincoln, NE, US
    I spent a fair amount of time this winter researching the common factors between all of the diagnoses I have ever received, it's a depressing whopper of a list, looking for common factors. Increased glutamate levels were a factor in many of them; including fibromyalgia, bipolar, PTSD, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, IBS, restless leg syndrome and migraines.

One of the simple things that may decrease glutamate is dextromethorphan. I say may because for it to have this action requires a certain enzyme which 16% of the population does not have. There is a drug company that recently patented a drug that is a combination of dextromethorpan and quinidine, as the quinidine overrides this deficit. The drug has been FDA approved for, and is currently being marketed for a rare condition related to alzheimers. However, it is being studied for a multitude of conditions. For the life of me I cannot remember the drug name or the company, go figure. :)

My own trial with dxm yielded no results. Although, the first 4 days while I was using one brand I had a total disappearance of the awful depression that plagued me all winter, and an increase in energy. However, after that I had to switch brands because of the ridiculous cost and no longer saw any benefits.

Cucurmin has also been shown to lower glutamate, at least in rat brains. Gotta love research.

I started a new rx for bipolar 12 days ago and have noticed that my activity and energy levels have increased sightly, hopefully it is not a fluke. It does prevent the release of glutamate, the brand name is Lamictal. However, the side effect profile mimics many of my CFS symptoms, so we'll see how it goes as I titrate up on the doseage.
    Marco and warriorseekspeace like this.
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Be careful with DXM. It's possible to overdose on that. Dextromethorphan is listed as an NMDA antagonist so I assume it would help with other excitotoxins besides glutamate (?)
    Marco and warriorseekspeace like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France

Thanks Lotus97. That's a nice summary which also goes some way to explaining high rates of cardiovascular disease in depression (as is also suggested for ME/CFS).
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France

That's a very familiar list of conditions Annabel!
    Annabel likes this.
  6. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Marco
    You mentioned neuropathy in the article. What about the people who get relief from their symptoms by taking high doses of methylcobalamin? How does that fit in with this?
  7. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France

Hi Lotus97

Methly B12 is protective against neuroinflammation both centrally (e.g; in Alzheimers) and peripherally (as with peripheral neuropathies)..
    Lotus97 likes this.
  8. John H Wolfe

John H Wolfe Senior Member

London
    Quite an article! Inclined to agree glutamate is involved in (one of) the core process(es) involve in ME/CFS, as I understand it e.g. as a Neural Hyper-Sensitivity Syndrome, as per the discussion in my hypothesis article relating to peripheral-central sensitisation and mitochondrial dysfunction:

Central terminals of the nociceptor release a host of signal molecules e.g. neuropeptides and the neurotransmitter glutamate; these act on specific spinal cord neuronal receptors, activating the phosphorylation receptors and channels, particularly the NMDA and AMPA receptors for glutamate

The detection (of ATP) activity of receptors on (ATP) channels determine the balance between glutamate and GABA production (nervous system excitation vs. inhibition). NMDA receptors detect glutamate and are found in the greatest abundance in the hippocampus,basal ganglia, and amygdala
  9. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France

Thanks John

Its not an isolated article but one in a series of 'blogs' that follows what I think is a logical sequence of inquiry as detailed in this thread :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-tied-to-infections-autoimmune-disease.23782/

See more popular forum discussions.