1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

From M.S. Patients, Outcry for Unproved Treatment

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by charityfundraiser, Jun 29, 2010.

1. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

From M.S. Patients, Outcry for Unproved Treatment
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/health/29vein.html

Some parallels with CFS and an interesting idea that fatigue might be related to narrowing of veins in the neck and chest preventing drainage of blood from the head.
  2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I was struck by the similarities of the MS patients' outlook to CFS patients. They're tired of waiting for a cure, willing to try experimental treatments. Also the MS Society being accused of being too slow and conservative, and not aware of the desperation of patients. But hey, they were able to scrape up 2.4 million for research, something the CAA can't seem to do.

The next question is, what causes the narrowing of the veins?
  3. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Dr Zamboni found references to excess iron as a possible cause of MS

U.S. and Canadian researchers are trying to test Dr. Zamboni's premise.

For the Italian professor, however, the quest was both personal and professional and the results were stunning.

Fighting for his wife's health, Dr. Zamboni looked for answers in the medical literature. He found repeated references, dating back a century, to excess iron as a possible cause of MS. The heavy metal can cause inflammation and cell death, hallmarks of the disease. The vascular surgeon was intrigued – coincidentally, he had been researching how iron buildup damages blood vessels in the legs, and wondered if there could be a similar problem in the blood vessels of the brain.

Using ultrasound to examine the vessels leading in and out of the brain, Dr. Zamboni made a startling find: In more than 90 per cent of people with multiple sclerosis, including his spouse, the veins draining blood from the brain were malformed or blocked. In people without MS, they were not.

He hypothesized that iron was damaging the blood vessels and allowing the heavy metal, along with other unwelcome cells, to cross the crucial brain-blood barrier. (The barrier keeps blood and cerebrospinal fluid separate. In MS, immune cells cross the blood-brain barrier, where they destroy myelin, a crucial sheathing on nerves.)

More striking still was that, when Dr. Zamboni performed a simple operation to unclog veins and get blood flowing normally again, many of the symptoms of MS disappeared. The procedure is similar to angioplasty, in which a catheter is threaded into the groin and up into the arteries, where a balloon is inflated to clear the blockages. His wife, who had the surgery three years ago, has not had an attack since.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...love-leads-to-ms-breakthrough/article1372414/
    Researcher's labour of love leads to MS breakthrough
  4. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Anomalous venous blood flow and iron deposition in multiple sclerosis

Review Article by Professor Zamboni

Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism (2009) 29, 1867–1878; doi:10.1038/jcbfm.2009.180; published online 2 September 2009

Anomalous venous blood flow and iron deposition in multiple sclerosis
    Ajay Vikram Singh1 and Paolo Zamboni2

1.1Department of Physics, European School of Molecular Medicine (SEMM), IFOM-IEO Campus, Centro Interdisciplinare Materiali e Interfacce Nanostrutturati (CIMAINA), University of Milan, Milan, Italy
    2.2Vascular Diseases Center, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
    Correspondence: Professor P Zamboni, Director Vascular Diseases Center, University of Ferrara, Milan, Italy. E-mail: zmp@unife.it

Received 27 April 2009; Revised 27 July 2009; Accepted 29 July 2009; Published online 2 September 2009.

Abstract
    Multiple sclerosis (MS) is primarily an autoimmune disorder of unknown origin. This review focuses iron overload and oxidative stress as surrounding cause that leads to immunomodulation in chronic MS. Iron overload has been demonstrated in MS lesions, as a feature common with other neurodegenerative disorders. However, the recent description of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) associated to MS, with significant anomalies in cerebral venous outflow hemodynamics, permit to propose a parallel with chronic venous disorders (CVDs) in the mechanism of iron deposition. Abnormal cerebral venous reflux is peculiar to MS, and was not found in a miscellaneous of patients affected by other neurodegenerative disorders characterized by iron stores, such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Several recently published studies support the hypothesis that MS progresses along the venous vasculature. The peculiarity of CCSVI-related cerebral venous blood flow disturbances, together with the histology of the perivenous spaces and recent findings from advanced magnetic resonance imaging techniques, support the hypothesis that iron deposits in MS are a consequence of altered cerebral venous return and chronic insufficient venous drainage.

Keywords:
    cerebral venous hemodynamics, cerebrospinal venous insufficiency, demyelination, iron overload, multiple sclerosis, oxidative stress
  5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i think someone died trying this treatment...but i'd probably try it in a heartbeat.

just goes to show...nothing gets done unless someone of influence or ability is personally affected.
  6. boomer

boomer Senior Member

I think I recall reading that Dr. Zamboni said there might be viruses in the neck region causing this problem with the malformed veins.
  7. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

they'll probably end up finding retroviruses in MS too. i think some studies found retroviral activity in MS
  8. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  9. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  10. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    This is so interesting - thanks for posting - it does seem a very possible model for ME too. I much recall in my early days of everything tasting metallic. My Neurologist chasing MS and Parkinsons though neither developed - just all the nasty ME symptoms. (Brain MRI scan showed "high spots" - usually associated with demyelisation I was told).
  11. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  12. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    I'm somewhat skeptical as to this being the cause of MS. But would bet a dollar to a donut that it's an effect found in some of the classes of MS.

More than likely they're just tired of feeling alone and stuck. And I'd be willing to bet also a little tired of what a coworker with MS refereed to as "Piddling Around" lots of Effort and Money, with minimal return in results.

See more popular forum discussions.