1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

From Bedbound to Fit and Able in 14 Days: Effects of the Amazonian Medicine Kambo on a CFS Patient

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Hip, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, that is a worry for me in my experiments with kambo and dermorphin: that they might induce some psychosis which then remains as a permanent symptom.

The mild psychosis I have experienced many times in the past was anxiety psychosis, driven my severe generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). It would rise and fall with my anxiety symptoms.

These days, my GAD is well under control, if not eliminated, so I rarely get any psychosis symptoms at all now, thank goodness. This is why I was surprised to observe that dermorphin brought some psychosis back again for one day.

I wonder if the mild psychosis I experienced four days after taking dermorphin was in fact a mini version of opiate withdrawal induced psychosis.

sianrecovery likes this.
  2. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    Interesting link. Maybe I'm being purist about this, but I've worked with and experienced opiate withdrawal and I have also worked with and experienced psychosis from stimulants - not for many years I hasten to add. And I've worked with psychosis in its usual mental health presentations. I would say that they are using a wide definition of psychosis in that link, and that not everyone would agree the generalised awfulness and anxiety that accompanies withdrawal really fits.
    But well done you on getting control of your severe anxiety symptoms- what a fantastic achievement. I guess if you had one of those brains to start with that lacked all the groovy juice (sorry for complex technical terms) you were more susceptible to anxiety, and possibly to the effects of the kambo.

3. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    I checked with other people. Some people compensate the flatness with D-phenylalaline as well. You might have to wait several months before you notice any changes in your immune response as I mentioned before.

There is a Facebook group as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LDNRT/
    You can always ask for more info there.

Hip likes this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Kambo for ME/CFS: Feeling Worse Before You Feel Better

I have been conversing on this kambo.me forum with a kambo practitioner named Galega. Galega said she has treated several clients who have ME/CFS with kambo, and has observed the general response that ME/CFS patients have to the kambo treatment.

I asked Galega whether ME/CFS patients feel worse for a few days after taking kambo, before they feel better, and she confirmed this: Galega said that the ME/CFS patients she treated with kambo were all wiped out for 4 or 5 days following the treatment, but after that period, they started to improve and felt some benefits. These benefits were then sustained for another 4 or 5 days, before they wore off. Galega found that with subsequent kambo treatments, as the patient gained health, this wiped out period was reduced (ie, fewer days feeling wiped out), and the benefit period was increased (ie, more days feeling the benefits).

Feeling worse after kambo is very unusual, because generally speaking, most people tend to feel great in the days following a kambo trip — this is the case even for people who are sick, and have taken kambo as a medicine. It is only ME/CFS patients that seem to feel worse in the days following a kambo treatment. As a proposed explanation for this feeling worse, I suggest that the significant muscular contractions arising from the copious and intense purging (vomiting and diarrhea) that kambo induces may be exhausting ME/CFS patients, and that this physical exercise then gives the ME/CFS patient PEM (post exertional malaise) for several days following the kambo session.

Here is what Galega said about her method of treating ME/CFS patients with kambo:
    Galega suggests that after a year of regular kambo treatments, once the gains in health have been made, ME/CFS patients may then only need to take kambo once every 2 to 3 months as a maintenance dose, which she says is easily sustainable.

Technique for Creating Light 'On The Surface' Skin Burns

Galega says that the skin burns should not be an issue of concern, and she also points out that the burns only need be very small, just 2 to 4 mm in diameter:
    Galega also gives some very good advice (and a link to a video) on the art of making light 'on the surface' burns to administer the kambo:

The Frog's Disease

Regarding the "frog's disease" that people occasionally pick up when they take kambo intranasally by snorting it. I suspected this was some type of microbial disease caused by a microbe in the frog's secretion, and Galega, when she was in Brazil recently, asked one on the Kaxinawa Indians about this disease, and learnt from this Indian that:
    This frog's disease is only a risk if you take kambo intranasally. Apparently the frog's disease does not occur if you take kambo by the proper skin burn method.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Marlène likes this.
  5. Memphis

Memphis

Fascinating story from Jox, and while it might seem farfetched to some, after a couple sessions with the medicine I completely believe such things now. (That's me in that link. Those are my burns in the original post!)

6. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Well, that's interesting, but do you mind telling us a bit more about your experience? Kudos for moxie in trying this.

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Memphis has written about his experiences with kambo here.

8. Memphis

Memphis

Yep, as Hip posted, both experiences are written on that blog, but I'll give you a version without all of the fluff and heat of the moment writing.

Peru has been a trip I've wanted to do for years now. Not for vacation, but for self improvement. I've heard a beautiful many things about the place and finally got the opportunity last summer. I won't say I have any serious ailment or disease that sent me in that direction, but I have always felt extremely oppressed by the irrationally of my mind and certain aspects of my childhood. Call it depression, anxiety, whatever such a thing is, I wanted it gone, and nothing I was doing was making any progress.

Jump to Peru. I lived for three months down there, 2 of those months in a house I was renting with a few other people. One such roommate had been performing the Kambo regiments for years. He offered, I accepted. My first experience was pretty brutal, but I made some serious progress toward my goal. My second sitting, and four points of Kambo, really solidified my experience and gave me a real and lasting framework to avoid slipping backward. It has been a year and 4 days actually, since my first experience and I'm still feeling free of that which I wanted to lose.

The Kambo itself, brought on quite violent vomiting, but after about 30min I was fine and went on with my day. Others took longer, some were down for half the day before their stomachs settled.

In the months I was there I saw quite a few people make some progress with addictions/pain/disease (Crohn's specifically). I'm still in contact with a few of them, and they are doing really well.

Medically speaking, I have no idea about the realities of the Kambo, I'm only speaking from what I saw, and from what I experienced. I won't say it's for everyone, at all. But for me, personally, I feel like I really saved my own life by getting the burns.

Sparrowhawk, Wayne and Lou like this.
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    And I thought the herbal antiviral treatments I have been considering we're alternative, wow. Thanks for this thread, just fascinating.

Hip likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.