• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(from 1998) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Among School Children and Their Special Educational Needs

Tom Kindlon

(This is a comment on an old study, from 1998, so many may not find it of much importance but wanted to post it somewhere)

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J092v04n03_06

Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Original Article

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Among School Children and Their Special Educational Needs

1998, Vol. 4, No. 3 , Pages 59-69

M. L. Arzomand
Community Paediatrician†

Department of Community Paediatrics, The Merton and Sutton Community NHS Trust, Community House, Fountain Drive, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 4NR, UK

†Correspondence: M. L. Arzomand, MAi-zomand@aol.com

Abstract

Objectives:

To determine the prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) in school children.

To explore their Special Educational Needs (SEN) arrangements.

To evaluate the views of their parents, the educational and medical professionals involved in the process of special education needs assessment.

Design: A postal questionnaire survey.

Setting: The Merton and Sutton Junior and High Schools.

Subjects: Pupils diagnosed with CFS.

Main Outcome Measures: Responses to CFS about special educational needs and case details.

Results: With a 53.8% return rate, 22 cases were idenlilled giving an overall point prevalence of 0.07%. Of these 22 cases, 21 were in Sutton and one in Merton. There were equal numbers of boys and girls.

Although the respondent groups generally agreed about Special Educational Needs arrangements, differences existed on home tuition and physical education (PE) at school. Parents were more against PE, 5 (71%) vs. 2 (14%) and 4 (11%) of doctors and educational staff, respectively (P = 0.001). Four out of seven parents (57%) said home tuition was necessary, while only one doctor (7%) and nine educational staffs (25.7%) agreed with this (P = 0.044).

Conclusion: The estimated overall prevalence is consistent with previous paediatric studies. Two different findings, however, emerged. The equal prevalence in boys and girls (in contrast to previous studies) and the highly significant difference of case numbers between these two neighbouring boroughs (21 vs. 1). Further research is needed for possible explanation of these differences.

Keywords

Paediatric, chronic fatigue syndrome, epidemiology

Tom Kindlon

I just read this paper. I am not impressed that of the doctors (hospital and community paediatricians and child & adolescent psychiatrists), 35% thought participation in physical education (P.E.) classes should be encouraged, with various intermediate comments/answers and only 14.3% saying "not until recovery."

P.E. classes will very often involve high intensity activity which I don't think are at all suitable for people with ME/CFS (if people want to exercise, it shouldn't be with high intensity exercise).

Author said: "Most doctors are taking the view expressed in the Royal Colleges' report that graded exercise may be beneficial" My comment: P.E. isn't like graded exercise. This shows how confusing talk of graded exercise can be.

Old news at this stage of course.

Aside: I remember Dr. Macintyre (if I recall correctly) describing a man with ME sprinting for a bus making himself couchbound for 3 months following the exertion. Something odd happens with high intensity activity in the condition.

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

sigh, as usual with the "system", it's always:
physical exercise, purges, leeches, flagellation!
*he says in semi-comical authorative voice*
....:rolleyes:

I was born with twisted lower legs, had to get them straightened with special shoes, leg braces, physio until I was 6 to 7.
as I grew I got more and more problem with running, incredible pain in shins.
Saw a GP he insisted it was "stiches"...eh? that's in yer side not shins, would he listen, nope!

at high school, meant track/cross country runs were impossible as could only run short distance afore it got hellish, least finally one of the teachers who was ex-nurse understood.
but first time we got the "hurdles" I was wondering how the hell I'd do it...so I ran/kicked right through 'em,broke them all but one
P.E. teachers were very impressed, they'd never seen that strategy used before :p
So while I got "D" for achievement, always got "A" for effort, lol

was actually "shin splints", muscles tear off the bone. Gawd DAMN it hurts.
cause that wasn't diagnosed by that dumb ass GP also ruined other chances in life, didn't learn about what it was for long time, jeesh