Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(from 1998) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Among School Children and Their Special Educational Needs

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

(This is a comment on an old study, from 1998, so many may not find it of much importance but wanted to post it somewhere)

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J092v04n03_06

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

I just read this paper. I am not impressed that of the doctors (hospital and community paediatricians and child & adolescent psychiatrists), 35% thought participation in physical education (P.E.) classes should be encouraged, with various intermediate comments/answers and only 14.3% saying "not until recovery."

P.E. classes will very often involve high intensity activity which I don't think are at all suitable for people with ME/CFS (if people want to exercise, it shouldn't be with high intensity exercise).

Author said: "Most doctors are taking the view expressed in the Royal Colleges' report that graded exercise may be beneficial" My comment: P.E. isn't like graded exercise. This shows how confusing talk of graded exercise can be.

Old news at this stage of course.

Aside: I remember Dr. Macintyre (if I recall correctly) describing a man with ME sprinting for a bus making himself couchbound for 3 months following the exertion. Something odd happens with high intensity activity in the condition.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ta for the handy illustration as to how the promotion of GET has led to CFS patients being treated.

Valentijn and Tom Kindlon like this.
  4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    sigh, as usual with the "system", it's always:
    physical exercise, purges, leeches, flagellation!
    *he says in semi-comical authorative voice*
    ....:rolleyes:

I was born with twisted lower legs, had to get them straightened with special shoes, leg braces, physio until I was 6 to 7.
    as I grew I got more and more problem with running, incredible pain in shins.
    Saw a GP he insisted it was "stiches"...eh? that's in yer side not shins, would he listen, nope!

at high school, meant track/cross country runs were impossible as could only run short distance afore it got hellish, least finally one of the teachers who was ex-nurse understood.
    but first time we got the "hurdles" I was wondering how the hell I'd do it...so I ran/kicked right through 'em,broke them all but one
    P.E. teachers were very impressed, they'd never seen that strategy used before :p
    So while I got "D" for achievement, always got "A" for effort, lol

was actually "shin splints", muscles tear off the bone. Gawd DAMN it hurts.
    cause that wasn't diagnosed by that dumb ass GP also ruined other chances in life, didn't learn about what it was for long time, jeesh

5. Tom Kindlon

Sorry to hear that, Silverblade TE. :(

SilverbladeTE likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.