Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Free Copper Calculation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Tigger, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Tigger

Tigger

Hi all,

Does my calculation of free copper below look accurate to anyone?

Copper Calculations:
    Ceruloplasmin: 14,000
    Copper Serum: 75
    Zinc: 54
    1. Calculate the Copper:Zinc ratio. Reference range is 0.7 to 1.0. This is a ratio, not ug/dL: 75/54 = 1.38
    2. Calculate the amount of Copper bound in Ceruloplasmin: 14,000 x 0.003 = 42
    3. Calculate the amount of Copper not bound in Ceruloplasmin. Reference range is 5 to 15ug/dL: 75 - 42 = 33 ug/dL
    4. Calculate the percentage of Non-Ceruloplasmin-Bound Copper. Reference range is 5% to 20%: 33 / 75 x 100 = 44%

@alicec @Thewonders92

2. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    looks ok

3. Tigger

Tigger

Thanks for the response. Obviously that high of a percentage would be indicative of needing to take action, correct?

4. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Tigger,

If you use units throughout, and reference the numbers that are not test results (e.g., where did the 0.003 come from?) others of this forum might be better able to understand what you're doing, and therefore whether the numbers look OK. I find that doing so points out my mistakes to myself before showing them to anyone.

I have not heard of any assessment of copper being accurate/reliable enough to warrant corrective action. When I did my research a few years ago, the state of the art was not there yet. So, not having seen what's changed since 2014, it's not obvious to me that the results indicate taking action. Is the risk of trying to correct it without professional guidance is worth it? It wasn't then. But of course, you decide for yourself.

pamojja and Gondwanaland like this.
  5. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Does anyone have a reference where this 3% Copper bound to Ceruloplasmin comes from?

Would say, depends. Had tested serum and whole blood copper and zinc for years only, but no professional guidance available. And I could correct it somewhat by comparing these labs and effects from different amounts supplemented.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Please tell more

pamojja likes this.
  7. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Zinc has mostly been at the lowest end of normal. Copper in the higher half of normal. So I increased zinc gradually, till I got headache from about 60 mg/d. Therefore increased Copper a bit to about 2 mg/d, which immediately eased the headache. However, after some time that way, serum copper shoot above normal and zinc below. Lowering copper to below 1 mg/d corrected it again. Zinc still at lowest end of normal, copper above the middle. Whole blood test reflected these serum results. Want to add that I also get about 13 mg/d zinc and 4.2 mg/d of copper from diet alone.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  8. Tigger

Tigger

Sorry for forgetting the units. I was being lazy and copy and pasted from a document I had saved. Here's a much clearer post.

Here's the link where I found the instructions to theoretically calculate free copper: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/pyroluria-treatment-advice.34150/

Test Results:
    Component
    Ceruloplasmin

Standard Range
    15-52 mg/dL

Your Value
    ---------------------
    Component
    Copper

Standard Range
    0.75 - 1.45 mcg/mL

Your Value
    ---------------------
    Component
    Zinc

Standard Range
    0.66 - 1.10 mcg/mL

Your Value

Calculations you can do following blood tests for Serum or Plasma Zinc, Copper and Ceruloplasmin.

First, we need to get the three measurements into the same units, preferably ug/dL (micrograms per decilitre):

If your results were given in g/L multiply by 100,000 to get ug/dL.

If your results were given in mg/dL, multiply by 1,000 to get ug/dL.

If your results were given in mg/L multiply by 100 to get ug/dL.

If your results were given in ug/L, divide by 10 to get ug/dL.

If your results were given in ng/mL, divide by 10 to get ug/dL.

1) Zinc

If your results were given in umol/L, divide by 0.153 to get ug/dL

2) Copper

If your results were given in umol/L, divide by 0.157 to get ug/dL

3) Ceruloplasmin

Results are usually given in mg/dL or g/L. Convert to ug/dL as above notes.

Now calculate the ratios, etc.

4) Calculate the Copper:Zinc ratio, divide Copper (2) by Zinc (1),

Reference range is 0.7 to 1.0. (This is a ratio, not ug/dL.)
    75 / 54 = 1.39

5) Calculate the amount of Copper bound in Ceruloplasmin,

Ceruloplasmin (3) in ug/dL multiplied by 0.003. (Ceruloplasmin is 0.3% Copper by weight)

14,000 x 0.003 = 42

6) Calculate the amount of Copper not bound in Ceruloplasmin,

Total Copper (2) in ug/dL minus Copper bound to Ceruloplasmin (5).

Reference range is 5 to 15ug/dL
    75 - 42 = 33

7) Calculate the percentage of Non-Ceruloplasmin-Bound Copper:

Non-Ceruloplasmin-Bound Copper (6) divided by total Copper (2), then multiplied by 100.

Reference range is 5% to 20%.

33 / 75 x 100 = 44%
    Any confirmation on whether or not these calculations are accurate or not would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

@Sherpa @ahmo @pamojja @Critterina

pamojja likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.