The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Free Celiac disease screening tests @ University of Chicago, Oct 17

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    For anyone in the Chicago area that hasn't had CD ruled out yet, or thinks they might have co-morbid CD:

University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center runs a once yearly free screening.
    For those not familiar, this is the antibody testing (blood tests), if you test positive you would need an endoscopic biopsy to confirm (no idea whether this is also covered by the free program).

you also need to still be on a gluten-containing diet, or go back on a "gluten challenge" for the tests to work (you need to have an ongoing auto-immune reaction to produce the antibodies )

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/blood-screening-sign-up-form

Kati likes this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @Kyla. I'm getting that test in a few weeks but she said nothing to me about a diet

I usually eat Mostly gluten free so do I have to eat gluten before the test?

Thanks.

3. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    I'm not an expert, but from what I've been told I think you would still be okay since you are still eating gluten. (Ie - you never went 100% gluten- free?)
    You could purposely eat more until then if you can't reschedule.

It is also possible you might be eating more than you think - speaking as someone who has had to thoroughly eliminate it because of CD, it hides in a lot of places

I am baffled that you would not have been told this by whoever scheduled the test. That is disheartening that doctors still don't know the testing protocols :(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I eat very simply so it's doubtful I'm eating enough gluten to show in a test even if I did have some. From what I've been reading you need the equivalent of 2 slices of bread a day for at least 6 weeks. I'll do it next labs in w few months.

I'm not surprised about her. She also told me I probably don't have SIBO because i have constipation. Totally untrue.

I know if I had serious problems I wouldn't go to her. She's in my plan and geographically desirable.

In just glad you posted this. I had no idea.

Valentijn and Kyla like this.

See more popular forum discussions.