• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fredd protocol help

Hi Guys, Well, this might be a long post. I've been trying to do Fredd's protocol since January. I haven't written before because have not much energy for it (working full time) and on and off dysautonomia makes being on the computer painful. It's hard enough to just read and try to understand what I should be doing.

Like everyone I have lots of bad reactions and go in fits and starts. But overall I was seeing progress up until three weeks ago--my chronic and severe insomnia improved, peri-menopausal symtpoms improved and I felt well enough to start riding my bike.

Unfortunately I pushed myself too quickly I guess and had an adrenal crash after riding for 3 miles (hypoglycemia, panic, insomnia, roller coaster all night that night). Then a week later went to ER with atrial fibrillation--this is the first time I've ever had that. This last ten days is perhaps the worst insomnia I've ever had with two nights actually being up all night without sleeping. I have never experienced that before.

So, I'm feeling discouraged because I had been doing so well. I was even able to start sleeping in the same bed with my husband again my sleep had improved so much. Now I'm back in the spare bedroom again.

I have had difficulty increasing my potassium intake for two reasons 1)a lot of mineral supplements don't agree with me, perhaps because of glutamate sensitivity 2)When I took more than three potassium pills in a day I would get acute adrenal crash symptoms (like above, hypoglycemia, panic, insomnia, nausea). Even with taking salt I would get those symptoms. When I was in the ER with A-Fib my potassium was at 40 and my salt was the highest # in the normal range. The docs don't seem to think it was mineral imbalance that caused it. But I have been reading the work of Dr. Hans Nieper and was using his mineral orotate formulas because they agreed with me very well. Now I have read that Nieper says to use potassium orotate and other mineral transporters only with caution if you have arrhythmia. Mineral transporters like orotates work differently than other forms of minerals and I'm wondering that even though my potassium blood levels were on the low end of normal, perhaps the tissue penetration was excessive. No idea for sure. I'm trying to figure out whether I should discontinue all orotates or just the potassium, seems to be not much info out there.

I'm wondering if I can use a greens powder instead of a potassium supplement? That might not cause the adverse reaction to potassium I've been getting? I really can't increase my dosage of folate without some way to address the hypokalemia.

I think I finally figured out today that all the insomnia and anxiety I've been feeling is from the L-carnitine fumarate. Usually I get reactions immediately to supplements and have no problem identifying it, but this one seemed to sneak up on me so I didn't realize that was it. I'm hoping now that I figured it out my 3 weeks of hell will come to a close! I've been too nervous to try adensylb form of B12, though it's been sitting on my shelf for months.

My currrent protocol is:
Pure Vitamin B Plus 1 cap am & pm
ET Vitamin B 12 am
Protocol for Life Vitamin B12 pm (sometimes also use B12 during night when I wake as I found it really helps my insomnia)
Numedica Phosphatidylcholine 1 cap 3 times a day
Magnesium Orotate 1 tab 3 times/day (going to try to switch to glycinate)
Potassium Gluconate 1 tab 2 times day
Heart Glandular
Liver Glandular
L-Carnitine Fumarate 1 cap (340 mg)--now discontinuing
Coenzyme Q10 with tocotrienols
Zinc orotate 1 tab daily
Biotics D Mulsion Forte 2000-4000 IU
Cod Liver Oil 2 tsp
Sodium Ascorbate 6000 mg (in water with sea salt sipped throughout day)
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
Electrolytes
Individualized Chinese herbal formula
7.5 mcg of compounded time release T3 daily

I have tried a million things that did not agree with me including but not limited to:
Egg yolk lecithin (severe neuropathy in my legs, probably started with way too high a dose but am too scared to try it again)
Increased methylfolate--severe hypokalemia
Increased B12--severe neuropathy
Vitamin E (turned out to have soy in it, which I'm allergic to; just ordered a soy free kind)
Selenium (just ordered a yeast-free kind to try)
Iodine in many different forms (gastritis!)
Increased zinc (causes chelitis)
Phosphatidylserine (severe insomnia)

Fredd, I've read about your relative who survied with ALS using the liver tonic stew daily. I almost feel like that would be easier than trying to balance all these supplements. Do you have the recipe?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa Marie