• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fred - help on what to do with methylB & metafolin, please!

Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting up your revised protocol. Unfortunately, I still have a few questions as I am very new to all of this.

I have worked my way up to ¼ tablet of dibencozide, 1 tablet ET mb12 (1mg), 1 Jarrow mb12 (1mg) and 1600 mcg metafolin. I take all the basic supplements as well as 900 mg potassium per day (+ any episodic doses of 500 mg required). I am in the process of increasing my potassium.

I would say I have had some mild ‘start up’ effects (light-headedness, a few tingling feelings and a slight increase in existing muscle spasms) and I have managed to get some of them under control with episodic doses of potassium.

I wasn’t sure if I was doing the right thing but today I increased my metafolin to 1600 mcg. After the second dose of 800 mcg, my existing headaches and brain fog intensified and my mood deteriorated rapidly. I quickly took 500 mg potassium in case it was caused by an increase in my need for potassium but that doesn’t seem to have done very much. Do you think I increased my metafolin too quickly and should I return to my previous dose of 800 mcg? Or is this potentially a side effect of healing starting up that should improve in time? I am not sure whether to react to this or just ride it out.

Now that I am taking 1 ET mb12 (1mg), 1 Jarrow mb12 (1mg) and ¼ tablet dibencozide, do I hold my mb12/adb12 dosage for a while and work on the metafolin/potassium balance or do I continue to steadily increase my mb12 & metafolin? OR, is now the time to add in L-carnitine? I am a bit unsure of what to do with the mb12 and metafolin at this stage & when to start adding in a co-factor like L-carnitine.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Why did you go to 1600 mcg? I only saw 800 mcg mentioned without anything about increasing, but I could be wrong. I read almost everyone needs 2000 mg-6000 mg potassium. Are you already taking all the supportive basic supplements he suggested?

Why did you go to 1600 mcg? I only saw 800 mcg mentioned without anything about increasing, but I could be wrong. I read almost everyone needs 2000 mg-6000 mg potassium. Are you already taking all the supportive basic supplements he suggested?

Hi,

I read that some people need more metafolin than 800 mcg (particularly if they have paradoxical folate deficiency) but I am not sure at which stage to increase the metafolin and/or the mb12 so I really need Fred's thoughts on the matter! Yes, I am taking all the basic supplements. I haven't added in any co-factors yet & again, I am unsure of whether to add in something like L-Carnitine before increasing the metafolin & mb12 further or not.