• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Found! Solution for metallic taste in mouth, but still have one more mystery symptom.

juniemarie

I posted a while ago about his. I have had it for about 8 mos. First on and off then last couple of months constant. I had tried everything in my cupboard to see it it would go away with no success
I noticed a bag of xylitol in the back of cupboard and 2 days ago started sprinkling it on my tongue several times a day.........gone, no more feeling like I have a wad of tin foil in my mouth!
I know there are lots of claims as to the benefits of xylitol but dont know how much research backs up the claims.
Any ideas why this would have relieved my symptoms? They say it kills bacteria, but dont think that would be the only cause of this a I had tried peroxide as well as betadine rinse and surely that would have killed bacteria. Also claim it kills certain yeasts??? It makes your mouth evironment alkaline.
Along with the metallic taste came severe chapped peeling lips, thats also gone.
Now if I can just find a solution for my other mystery symptom.......sores on my scalp!

L'engle

moogle
Xylitol is good for your mouth. It can hurt your stomach if you eat very much of it though. Stevia and coconut oil are both also very pleasant in the mouth and keep it free of bacteria without killing off what's good. Coconut oil might be good for your scalp, too. It's very soothing and also antibacterial. Eating virgin coconut oil will also help throughout your system and with skin problems. It's great stuff, though it varies by the brand. Keep trying brands until you get one that tastes good and has a nice consistency! (you don't need to buy anything called 'extra virgin' coconut oil. The label is meaningless and it costs twice as much)

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Does the sores on your scalp appear in sporadic locations or do they tend to be in one area? The reason I ask is about 2 or 3 months ago I started having the sweats and hot flashes along with very oily skin (my eyes even became very oily). I also started getting this itch on my scalp, which turned into small bumps and they appear to be in sort of line that follows the back of my skull. It's hard not to scratch them and of course they get irritated and get inflammed. I've changed shampoos and tried "Scalpicin", but it keeps popping up and starts itching just about everyday.

juniemarie

No they can come anywhere on my scalp. Some of them have been there for 2 yrs. They seemed kind of like cystic acne...hard small lumps that were tender, but do not respond to any OTC acne meds or anything given to me by dermatologist. I have tried all the different shampoos with various active ingredients like sulphur, salicylic acid, fungal stuff, stuff for bacteria and yeast. Nothing works. I get them on the top of my arms too. One of the many mysteries of CFS. I see lots of lists of symptoms for CFS and I have them all, but these 2 symptoms...the sores and the metallic taste I have never seen on any list of CFS symptoms. I have also looked at the list of symptoms for various co-infections that PWCFS have as well as symptoms for Lyme, CPN, gluten intolerance etc and never found my 2 symptoms on any lists. Also I have noticed that nothing heals on my skin. If I get a cat scratch or cut it never heals . Just like the sores dont heal. I wipe myself off with peroxide after a bath to make sure these things dont get infected while I wait for a clue as to what they are and what can be done to treat them.
I just started LDN about 1/12 mos ago maybe eventually it will help my immune system get strong enough to fight this skin thing.