1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Found Mold in Bedroom.. Been Sick SInce Moving to House. Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by chilove, Nov 19, 2013.

  1. SickOfSickness

    SickOfSickness Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,791
    Likes:
    892
    US
    I feel like I don't react much to mold (except if I'm close to black mold). As you said there are much worse things like if the paint is only months old, ragweed, etc. Still, I am worried that the mold is responsible for a part of my symptoms. I wish I could live in a mold-free place for months. I might see a 10% improvement or more.
  2. jenbooks

    jenbooks Guest

    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes:
    112
    In an ideal world we'd have absolute control over all exposures, be independently wealthy and able to live as we please! :) Barring that, awareness and reasonable compromise is what we got...
    Tristen likes this.
  3. richard86

    richard86

    Messages:
    4
    Likes:
    5
    How much mould is bad? I recently moved into a new place & there are a few ominous patches of mould high up on my bathroom ceiling. Every time I see them I ponder their effects on my health - be there any that is.

    I know if you have any candida - which a lot of us with CFS do - then mould is a big issue.
  4. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,076
    Likes:
    339
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    I've never suggested to anyone that I knew that they had to get rid of all their belongings to get better, and I can't recall hearing any other experienced mold avoiders say that either.

    Some mold toxins are MUCH worse than others. Some people are much more reactive than others. If you work hard enough at it, your reactivity may go down over time, and you may be able to tolerate all kinds of toxins much more than in the past. So what people need to do to get clear depends on the circumstances.

    What Erik has always said, and I have always echoed, is that if people are very sick in a problematic place, it is hard for them to know whether their possessions are a problem or not. If they can get entirely away from their possessions for a while (e.g. the stereotypical two-week vacation in Death Valley), then they can figure out when they return whether their environment -- including their stuff -- is a problem.

    Maybe things will be perfectly fine after a wash. I've known a number of people who had that experience. I've known other people who have found that washing their possessions was not helpful at all and that starting entirely over (including with new cars) was totally essential.

    In some cases, for some people and with some toxins, one contaminated object can be enough to keep the person totally sick, all by itself. In other cases, people may be able to tolerate a whole houseful of furniture from a bad place, with no washing at all. It just depends on factors that even experienced people -- much less newbies -- are not going to be able to predict.

    So there's no way to say for sure that what somebody else is doing is not extreme enough or is too extreme. It all depends on the specific circumstance.

    I also think it's a mistake for people to think that just because they get rid of the possessions from their problematic house, they will need to be running from every little bit of mold for the rest of their lives. People with ME/CFS very often are living in particularly problematic places or with particularly problematic contaminated belongings (it is my suspicion that this is why they are so sick). And so very often, if people can get rid of those particularly problematic items, other exposures are much easier to deal with.

    After I started avoidance afresh, there were a few occasions when I encountered items that were so badly contaminated that I had to send them back to the store, or when I cross-contaminated things that I already owned badly enough that I had to give them away. But that was quite rare, fortunately.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    chilove likes this.
  5. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,076
    Likes:
    339
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    I was interested to see that Mike Holmes has taken the position that houses that are flooded on the first floor should be torn down due to concerns about mold. And he is not even talking about whether they should be lived in by people who are already sick -- just in general.

    A list of his stories on mold is in a PDF linked toward the bottom of the page.

    http://www.paradigmchange.me/mold-illness-info/flooding-and-water-events/
    chilove likes this.
  6. chilove

    chilove Senior Member

    Messages:
    243
    Likes:
    41
    Wow, Graeme, I didn't know EMF sensitivity was so related to mold exposure. Do you think only mold sensitive folks get it? I lived in Seattle for 13 years in a couple of different basement apartments. It was in a basement apartment that I first developed CFS
  7. chilove

    chilove Senior Member

    Messages:
    243
    Likes:
    41
    Thanks so much everyone for all your comments! i'll let you know how my trial away from the home goes. I'm leaving next week.
    cigana likes this.
  8. Graeme

    Graeme almost there...

    Messages:
    336
    Likes:
    202
    Montreal
    Drs. Rea and Nagy are the docs you might want to look into. Both have said electrical hypersensitivity (EHS) usually resolves after addressing mold and/or chemical issues. They've also stated that 70% of MCS sufferers got that way via mold. So, yeah, I think most with EHS will find this symptom resolves with strict avoidance of mold. Watching whatever I could find from these doctors and the testimonies of patients they've treated has opened my eyes to a whole lot. None of our mainstream ME/CFS researchers give these problems much thought. To them, and me at one point, these were just unpleasant complications of the disease. But there is a system to them! Start with this video:



    My latest theory of the disease is we have genetic weaknesses that lead to intoxication and sensitivity, which leads to pathogen accumulation and activation of latent viruses that further sensitizes us to those things in our environment. A merry-go-round of misery. I see ME/CFS as a sensitization to our environment and it's this that causes most of our symptoms.

    I sometimes play video games with my step-son and I've found myself getting a kick out of likening the challenge to my struggle with this disease. First you have to complete a basic level and get a grip on things. Once you've achieved this they decide to throw you for a loop with a similar level, a few subtle changes, but now you've flying daggers to contend with. Then enter the ghosts while those daggers are still trying to find their mark. If you manage to figure out how to navigate through this, employing crafty little tricks along the way, you now have to find the secret passages and fight various creatures you couldn't have dreamed up. For those secret passages the trick is to do a little internet research. Though I don't tell the six-year-old I'm doing this, I'd rather impress him with my clairvoyance.

    Energy shortage, leaky gut, food sensitivities, problems with mold, Lyme Disease, MCS, EHS, vicious food sensitivities, orthostatic intolerance, PEM, etc. -all flying daggers, ghosts, trap doors, and secret passages. The tricks I've learned were mostly from fellow patients. For me Drs Rea and Nagy were a huge component. Now I know how one nasty symptom leads to another. That and having my head way up my ass with analysis of my difficulties. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere after years and years. If only I can connect with the right doctor to help me identify the pathogen that's twisting my immune system to sensitize to these things I will have finished the game.
    cigana, chilove and slayadragon like this.
  9. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,076
    Likes:
    339
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    From the cases that I've seen, noticeable electrical hypersensitivity tends to decrease at a relatively early stage of strict mycotoxin avoidance (with reductions in chemical/food sensitivities following and then reductions in sensitivities to "usual" mycotoxins following substantially later).

    Of course, all of these things probably are still good to avoid, to the extent that people are able to do so reasonably easily.
    chilove likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page