Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Former triathlete 'faked chronic fatigue to claim millions in insurance'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by RogerBlack, Apr 11, 2017.

1. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/former-triathlete-faked-chronic-fatigue-12752212

Not to say symptoms can't be faked, but the alternate picture of a variable condition seems more plausible to me.

Yogi, anniekim, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  2. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

This is pretty unfortunate. He could very well still have CFS. I can suck it up for 5 hours to meet friends at a beer festival on some days. On the outside I look normal, but I'm struggling inside. But I wouldn't be able to do much the next day or wouldn't be able to repeat such an outing if I was having a "bad day."

Also, I don't personally drink anymore in an attempt to be and get healthy but alcohol never affected me or my CFS. Actually, I became immune to alcohol's intoxicating effects. I can't get drunk strangely. But I know I'm an exception.

anuj, anniekim, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  3. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    The article is awful - and implies, in my opinion, that he is faking it - but the comments underneath are all good!

anuj, MEMum, Aurator and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

The headline is clearly a disgrace. One presumes that many of the paper's readers will take the allegation of fakery to be a fact and not merely the unproven claim of one of the parties to the action. The real test for the newspaper comes with the reporting of the rest of the case.

Aurator and sb4 like this.
  5. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

I've always felt much better for about 24 hours after I have a glass or so of wine. I'm not really sure why.

Not that I've tried this "treatment" long-term.

atleje likes this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Gone now, come see me in my new home at S4ME.info

Its an odd tale. He says he had been advised to "Making use of his good periods by exercising as much as possible". Would anyone give us that advice - BPS believers or no?

Aurator and Chrisb like this.
  7. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    This made me chuckle:
    :car::dog::beer:

moosie, Snow Leopard, Mel9 and 4 others like this.
  8. slysaint

slysaint Moved to https://www.s4me.info/index.php

"Mr Miley was seen driving himself and his dog to and from the pub"

..........new form of exercise? Maybe a new research trial is in order? Pub And Driving Exercise.

Mel9, Dechi, Aroa and 1 other person like this.
  9. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

It is contrary to NICE guidelines at the time.
    However, it would astonish me if quite a few GPs haven't given prescicely that advice, and many 'self help' type places advocating random terrible stuff over the years.

There is also a vast difference between 'exercising as much as possible' - taken to mean aerobic exercise to VO2max (for example), or taken to mean 'be as active as you can, without triggering PEM', which may be not well reported, or perhaps stated poorly to court.

Mel9, Valentijn and Woolie like this.
  10. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

I want to know if the dog was allowed in the pub, or if he had to wait outside in the car.

Solstice, Hilary and Mel9 like this.
  11. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Not a great article. I find it very strange -- this all or nothing position on disability in the UK. You have to be 100 percent disabled 100 percent of the time or you aren't disabled????

Let's get realistic -- some chronic conditions wax and wane.

Canadian Pension Plan for disability:

AND

I know Canada is still in the dark ages re: ME but somewhat more enlightened when it comes to disability. This insurance company obviously doesn't want to pay out if they can find a way because it's a lot of money. Going to the pub doesn't translate into being able to work a regular job or to being able to work at all. The press in the UK is once again showing their bias towards not only ME but those receiving disability benefits.

anuj, Manganus, anniekim and 4 others like this.
  12. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    From the surveillance pictures:
    [​IMG]

moosie, Helen, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  13. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

No.
    For example, personal independance payment.
    This is a government benefit, and requires you to be substantially affected in activities represented by several tests for more than 50% of days. (for example, can you walk 200m as often as you'd normally do without the illness).

The above is an insurance policy either provided by work, or taken out by the person, and the terms of the policy will be what matters, along with the interpretation of the court.
    Fundamentally, the insurance company are using the surveillance as 'proof' that he was claiming to be sicker than he was, and have stopped paying.
    Hence it goes through the courts as he argues that they are in breach of their contract.

14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Why are insurance companies not using cardiopulmonary exercise testing? It must surely cost less than private investigators.

Is it because subjectivity of symptoms is in their interest?

Valentijn likes this.
  15. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I don't think you need to go nearly this deep.
    It's simply the fraud side of the insurance company looking at claims from a 'can we justify not paying' perspective.

Insurance companies for obvious reasons want to pay out as little as possible.

Diwi9 likes this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Surely this is evidence in favour of Mr Miley. I bet before he had ME he walked his dog to the pub, it's only ME sufferers who have to drive their dogs.

This evidence on the other hand may backfire if he's hoping to convince the judge that driving to the pub and quaffing for 5 hours counts as "exercising as much as possible".

EDIT: There's a woman at my self-help group who always brings her husband with her. She was asked, if she can drive there herself, why he has to come. Her reply was that although she can drive to the meeting, she'd be too exhausted and brain fogged to drive back so she needs him for that.

I wonder if Mr Miley took the dog with him in the car so the dog could drive him home?

anuj, Helen, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  17. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Perhaps its one of those funny new cars. You know the joke; it just takes one man and a dog to fly a modern airliner. The man is there to feed the dog. The dog is there to make sure the man doesn't touch anything.

Mel9, atleje and TiredSam like this.
  18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

This wasn't the only news site to pick up the news. The Evening Standard and the Times are also carrying the story.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/f...4million-from-insurance-company-a3491306.html

And exactly how does one 'fake' an illness that is not even real (in the eyes of medical establishment) in the first place.
    How does one get a payout for cfs in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)?

I don't suppose Charles Miley would like to assist the rest of us in getting ME acknowledged and research funded.

19. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I am sad to say that we have the same kind of unrealistic definitions of disability in Canada.

JohnCB likes this.
  20. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I don't believe it's as bad as in the UK -- I know quite a few Canadians who are receiving CPP benefits who are not 100 percent disabled 100 percent of the time -- the criteria for receiving CPP payments is that you can't sustain any kind of employment at any time. So you might be able to do stuff around the house or go to a pub and not get hauled in for cheating the system or lying.

Anyways, not about Canada, it's about some man in the UK being called a faker for going to the pub.

Mel9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.