• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Former FDA commissioner charged under RICO Law for Levaquin cover-up

Paralee

There was also a case or two (more?) against Cipro, the drug that got me good, in Texas a while back. I hope they walked out with stacks of money. Fluoroquinolone poisoning is comparable to CFE/ME to many. The ones affected the most are crippled and in pain and bed ridden, etc. to varying degrees and yes....some die, too. It's horrible. They should not give these to people unless they can't get better with anything else. Instead, they still hand them out like candy, not even knowing if someone really has an infection.

Paralee

The FDA will probably not ban Fluoroquinolones, for some it's a last resort. Many others take it many times and never have a reaction. A lot is genetic, and depends on how many times you take them. Many people take them a lot and never have a reaction, but when they do, it's .........well, bad.

Forbin

Levaquin also carries a non-"black box" warning that it can prolong the QT interval portion of the ECG. Severe prolongation can lead to a heart rhythm known asTorsades de pointes which can devolve into ventricular fibrillation and sudden cardiac death.

Due to the risk of arrhythmia, Levaquin is contraindicated in patients with existing QT prolongation, or in those with low postassium (hypokalemia) or low magnesium (hypomagnesmia).

There was a fair amount of news coverage when the same effect was found in the popular antibiotic azithromycin (Zithromax or Zmax) in March 2013.http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm341822.htm

There is always a balancing act between the risks and rewards in the use of any medication, but such an evaluation can only be made if the risks are well appreciated by patients and physicians.

Azithromycin and Levofloxacin Use and Increased Risk of Cardiac Arrhythmia and Death
Ann Fam MedMarch/April 2014vol. 12no. 2121-127
http://www.annfammed.org/content/12/2/121.full

Groggy Doggy

Levaquin also carries a non-"black box" warning that it can prolong the QT interval portion of the ECG. Severe prolongation can lead to a heart rhythm known asTorsades de pointes which can devolve into ventricular fibrillation and sudden cardiac death.

Due to the risk of arrhythmia, Levaquin is contraindicated in patients with existing QT prolongation, or in those with low postassium (hypokalemia) or low magnesium (hypomagnesmia).

There was a fair amount of news coverage when the same effect was found in the popular antibiotic azithromycin (Zithromax or Zmax) in March 2013.http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm341822.htm

There is always a balancing act between the risks and rewards in the use of any medication, but such an evaluation can only be made if the risks are well appreciated by patients and physicians.

Azithromycin and Levofloxacin Use and Increased Risk of Cardiac Arrhythmia and Death
Ann Fam MedMarch/April 2014vol. 12no. 2121-127
http://www.annfammed.org/content/12/2/121.full

Wonderful to hear (sarcasm) since that fits my profile (low potassium) and then after consumption of antibiotics (arrhythmia). I guess its keeps the cardiologists with an ongoing supply of patients, and Big Pharm an endless demand for heart meds. Companies are profiting and continue to profit from making us ill. Oh yes, and when we complain we are sick, then Big Pharm wins again as the PCP will push a psych med. This scenario almost makes the tobacco companies seem harmless; at least people get some enjoyment from smoking.

GD

Groggy Doggy

A good friend with a severe chronic illness (not ME) got so tired of the condescending treatment from her doctors, ongoing tests that were inconclusive, side effects from numerous prescriptions, and huge medical bills (health insurance refused to pay).....that she stopped going to the doctor, stopped her prescriptions, stopped getting tests....and guess what? Now she feels much better :) :balloons::star::tulip:

Ian

Dr. Margaret Hamburg also ruled on dental amalgam. Dental amalgam never required proof of safety because it literally pre-dated the FDA and so was grandfathered in. The ruling would have changed that. But that sell out piece of shit, actually sat on the board of Schein, one of the largest amalgam manufacturers in the US. She of course had shares in the company, which she was supposed to sell .. before the ruling. Of course she didn't.

Groggy Doggy

Dr. Margaret Hamburg also ruled on dental amalgam. Dental amalgam never required proof of safety because it literally pre-dated the FDA and so was grandfathered in. The ruling would have changed that. But that sell out piece of shit, actually sat on the board of Schein, one of the largest amalgam manufacturers in the US. She of course had shares in the company, which she was supposed to sell .. before the ruling. Of course she didn't.
So if Margaret's friend Hillary gets elected in November, wonder if H will pardon M of any criminal charges she may encounter? It's starting to feel like I am watching a fictional political thriller movie, but all of these events are sadly real :( :pill::moneybag:

Gingergrrl

I wanted to clarify my own position which is not that I think all the FQ antibiotics should get banned b/c I know they can be life-saving in cases of sepsis or untreatable infections.

My issues are that they are given without informed consent of the black box warnings and are given out for minor infections or even in cases where there is no proven bacterial infection.

Levaquin now carries these black warnings: 1) tendon damage/rupture 2) Psychiatric adverse events including psychosis in people with no prior history 3) Potential injury or death to someone with myesthenia gravis 4) Mitochondrial damage 5) Irreversible Peripheral Neuropathy

I believe there is a sixth black box warning but I cannot recall it off the top of my head. But the latest warnings include eye damage and retinal tears and also damage to the aorta including aortic bulges, dissections and aneurysms b/c these meds break down collagen all throughout the body.

I really do wonder if this is why I have phrenic nerve neuropathy and so many obscure problems that seem unconnected? If I had been warned, I could have declined taking Levaquin but the vast majority of people are not warned and that is my issue with it.

If anyone wants more detailed info there is a book called "Bitter Pills" by Stephen Fried or an entire report called the "Flox Report". They are also not supposed to be prescribed to anyone under 18 years old yet they are all the time. Many FQ's that were banned in Europe eventually got banned in the US but we are always the last for this to occur b/c of the money making potential here for Pharma.

Groggy Doggy

I wanted to clarify my own position which is not that I think all the FQ antibiotics should get banned b/c I know they can be life-saving in cases of sepsis or untreatable infections.

My issues are that they are given without informed consent of the black box warnings and are given out for minor infections or even in cases where there is no proven bacterial infection.

Levaquin now carries these black warnings: 1) tendon damage/rupture 2) Psychiatric adverse events including psychosis in people with no prior history 3) Potential injury or death to someone with myesthenia gravis 4) Mitochondrial damage 5) Irreversible Peripheral Neuropathy

I believe there is a sixth black box warning but I cannot recall it off the top of my head. But the latest warnings include eye damage and retinal tears and also damage to the aorta including aortic bulges, dissections and aneurysms b/c these meds break down collagen all throughout the body.

I really do wonder if this is why I have phrenic nerve neuropathy and so many obscure problems that seem unconnected? If I had been warned, I could have declined taking Levaquin but the vast majority of people are not warned and that is my issue with it.

If anyone wants more detailed info there is a book called "Bitter Pills" by Stephen Fried or an entire report called the "Flox Report". They are also not supposed to be prescribed to anyone under 18 years old yet they are all the time. Many FQ's that were banned in Europe eventually got banned in the US but we are always the last for this to occur b/c of the money making potential here for Pharma.

I agree that some drugs need to remain in a hospital environment for life saving treatment options where a patient can be monitored. But I think many drugs need to banned outside of the hospital environment. I have read numerous warnings (not black box) for heart meds that clearly state new treatments and changes of dosing should be done in a hospital. MDs are prescribing these meds in their office without any verbal warning of possible side effects, and promptly sending patients home without taking responsibility for any kind of followup.

It's a much bigger issue than just Fluoroquinolones.

But back to Fluoroquinolones, besides taking an Rx, I assume over the years since it was developed, there could have been other ways to consume it indirectly like from eating animals that are fed the antibiotic.

Thank you for starting the post. I am an educated consumer now.

Gingergrrl

But back to Fluoroquinolones, besides taking an Rx, I assume over the years since it was developed, there could have been other ways to consume it indirectly like from eating animals that are fed the antibiotic.

Yes, this is a very good point, and anyone injured by an FQ to the severity that I was in 2010 should NOT eat beef, chicken etc, that has been stuffed with FQ antibiotics as part of their feed. We only buy organic, hormone and antibiotic free meat/chicken and this is one of the reasons why.

Gingergrrl

According to this article quinolones have been banned in US poultry since 2005. They are also banned in Nordic countries and Australia, but still used in UK, and EU countries for poultry. The trouble is these days you are never quite sure which country some of the poultry you may be eating has come from.:aghhh:

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/media/742739...one-antibiotics-in-poultry-must-be-banned.pdf

That's interesting and I did not read the entire link but I thought we were still using FQ antibiotics in the US in animal feed and had not heard of a ban (and if anything the entire food situation seems to be getting worse here thanks to Monsanto- but that is another topic). If they are banned here in animal feed that would be great!

Paralee

@Gingergrrl , I just did a quick search and an article said that even though they're banned the feed they inspected had fluoroquinolones in 8 out of 12 (I think 12) feeds given to poultry. I need to get up and get busy on a painting but I never believe that corporations, etc. stop doing something when they feel that nothing will happen to them if they keep doing it.