Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

for those of you that camped, where did you stay?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by Aerose91, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I'm heading out to the desert around March, probably staging in Moab then I'll go from there. I'm am 100% for disperse camping; I've always been an outdoors person who camped off the beaten path for long times, plus I HATE campgrounds. People with their RVs, WiFi (which I'm very sensitive to) etc.

I want to be away a little bit but I know the laws are that you can't camp for more than 2 weeks in a location before having to move. Has anyone found a solution to this? Or a place where they wouldn't be found? I'm cool with relocating occasionally but if I'm going there for months it would suck to pack up every 2 weeks

2. 5150

5150 Senior Member

sorry no recommendations from me for a good camp spot.
    But I'm wondering if you are adequately prepared for the extreme heat of late spring & summers in Desert country?
    Could be a problem for weakened immune systems.

3. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I'm as prepared as it's possible to be. I even built a swamp cooler that runs off a solar panel. My friends used it at Burning Man and said that when it was over 100 degrees out it stayed 70-75 in the tent.

4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    I found this on a boondocking website:
    "BLM LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Areas) allow stays of several months for a nominal fee.
    We've only mentioned the USFS and BLM so far, but FWS (US Fish & Wildlife Service), USACE (Army Corps of Engineers), Bureau of Reclamation, State Parks, and State owned lands offer boondocking opportunities. Arizona for example has a permit available for a nominal fee allowing boondocking on State lands.

There are also boondocking opportunities to be found on private lands. Ranches and farms may have a corner of the "back 40" they will allow you to stay for free or small fee. If you find a spot you would like to camp that is on private land, it never hurts to ask. We've had good success in farm country asking permission to camp at nice areas near a river with good access for overnight boondocking...we usually share the space with cows."

I haven't looked at this database, and it looks a little outdated, but it might prove helpful:
    http://boondocking.org/poi/default.aspx

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

@leela

That's really interesting and encouraging that some people may let you stay on their land. I'm going to look into it

6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    yeah, you could maybe even take out an ad on craigs but you'd have to vet for dodgy people! :eek::alien:
    another idea that comes to mind is rural buddhist or other monasteries. i suspect there are ones that would be
    open to letting you camp long-term for a nominal fee. wouldn't be so remote from people but the vibe would be serene.

CantThink likes this.
  7. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
    http://freecampsites.net
    I just spent a winter vacation in Colorado and South Dakota. 3 weeks in February. Didn't notice much of an improvement when I left home (truth or consequences nm). Upon coming home got slammed. Tempted to leave again except I was working on the theory that snow on the ground and corresponding near zero allergins would have a benificial effect. A little late in the year for that. My conclusion is inconclusive. I also had just come off a course of abx which seemed to reduce my symptoms drastically. That's since worn off though. Too bad I didn't go to buffalo, ny. No shortage of snow there.

See more popular forum discussions.