1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

For those interested in E.coli Nissle

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by donovank730, Mar 25, 2014.

1. donovank730

donovank730

I am purchasing a small amount of E. coli nissle and I will be culturing it so I don't have to keep purchasing it from oversea's at highly inflated prices. If anyone has interest in where they might find some within the United States please pm me, I would love to help with some information.
  2. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Would love to hear how to culture it as I hope to do so when my supply runs out.
  3. donovank730

donovank730

look into Lb broth its really quite simple, e.coli is also resistant to freezing so you can freeze the broth for some time when you get sick of culturing it
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. donovank730

donovank730

have you benefited at all from it?
  5. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Yes. Last time I took it my MCS was better. What is Lb broth?
  6. donovank730

donovank730

your best bet is to google it and then check ebay for a supply of it, its all pretty simple
    brenda likes this.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Dr Myhill has a page on her wiki about how to culture it:
    http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Growing_Mutaflor
    I just bought some and will be trying it sometime. I am taking it as part of my attempt to improve the state of my gut flora. It's been studied in ulcerative colitis which I have so I'm hoping it helps with that too.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    donovank730 likes this.
  8. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    What about this:

Growth of E. coli usually stops, even in the presence of the large total concentration of organic nutrients in LB broth, when the OD600 reaches around 2, corresponding to about 0.6 mg of E. coli (dry weight) per ml. The reason is not difficult to find: LB medium provides only a scant amount of carbohydrates, and surprisingly small amounts of other utilizable carbon sources. Tryptone and yeast extract are mostly composed of peptides of varying length. In their definitive 1968 study of Bacto Neopeptone using gel filtration, Payne and Gilvarg found that there was a clear size limit for the usable peptides at about 650 daltons—which corresponds to the exclusion limit of porin channels determined several years later. The smaller, usable peptides were a minority, perhaps a quarter of the entire mixture. Free amino acids were an even smaller minority, approximately 1% or less of the entire preparation. If we assume a similar size distribution for the peptides in tryptone and yeast extract, we can postulate that the yield of E. coli is limited primarily by the available carbon sources.

from

http://schaechter.asmblog.org/schaechter/2009/11/the-limitations-of-lb-medium.html
  9. donovank730

donovank730

.6 mg per ml is still alot of bacteria. I am sure I could do the math on that if I really wanted but if you drink a sizable portion of the broth(1/2 cup or so) you will get billions or trillions of the bacteria. you could easily add sugar to the mixture for added carbohydrates. In any case the both is still a good medium for e. coli growth

See more popular forum discussions.