• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For May 12 — Life With ME/CFS for 23 Years: Casting Light on Invisible Illness

Jody

Misfit Toy,

You are certainly forgiven for not knowing this.:) Being an editor at EmpowHER brings in most of my income, writing brings in the rest. It is wonderful:)

My husband Alan has had FM for almost 27 years, and insisted on working when he could but in the physical labour jobs he had experience in, he just kept crippling himself. He had a brief stint building and promoting websites a decade or so back. We did a little desktop publishing for a bit. We'd had a website called ncubator.com where nobody got paid but 40 people enjoyed writing articles for it anyway.:)

When I got sick that all stopped though. In 2009, I had seen my naturopath for 2 yrs and was tentatively somewhat healthier. An aunt of Al's had died and left us some money. Al bought me a laptop and we pretended to ourselves that maybe I could make some money writing online. We both knew the chances of this were slim, my experience online was already obsolete and I had no usable resume.

But we also knew that neither of us could stand up in a store, or take cash and make change, for enough hours to make even a pittance at minimum wage. Online writing was our only shot.

It took a couple of years to make enough to live on. Till then we just did the best we could, doing without, incurring more debt wherever and whenever possible and juggling bills. Like we'd been doing for many years already.

For about 3 yrs we have had a living wage, and it has come from writing and editing online.

If you're thinking about writing? I can only say, go for it. You have nothing to lose and possibly something to gain.

Jody

Jody,

Excuse me for not knowing this but do you make a living by writing? Is that your sole way of bringing in income? That's wonderful.

I am glad your son is getting better. And his sleep is, too. That's really important in getting better.

His sleep or lack of it has been SUCH a worry for so long. He had a little success with either valerian, melatonin or Rescue Remedy -- I forget which one worked for Jesse for awhile. Each of them has worked for one or the other of us at different times.

The fact that his sleep is finally improving suggests that some important healing has occurred. And now he has a better chance of proper rest and healing.

liverock

@Jody
Thanks for the very good article explaining what our disease is all about and the many stages of the sometimes very frightening symptoms that can occur.

As part of my little bit towards ME/CFS Awareness Week ,I will be emailing your article to a few women friends who have no idea what its all about, and hopefully will be moved to pass it on to some of their friends.

Maybe if we all did this it might snowball, who knows? Nice photo of you and Jesse BTW, good to see you looking relaxed and well.:)

Jody

@Jody
Thanks for the very good article explaining what our disease is all about and the many stages of the sometimes very frightening symptoms that can occur.

As part of my little bit towards ME/CFS Awareness Week ,I will be emailing your article to a few women friends who have no idea what its all about, and hopefully will be moved to pass it on to some of their friends.

Maybe if we all did this it might snowball, who knows? Nice photo of you and Jesse BTW, good to see you looking relaxed and well.:)

Liverock,

I appreciate your spreading my article around. We will paper the internet about ME/CFS.:)

I'll pass on your kind words to Jesse. He will be glad to know he looks relaxed and well.:) I'm glad to hear it too.:)

Get well, stay well, Liverock.