Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Football: Mario Götze remains sidelined, metabolic disturbances diagnosed

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Feb 28, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

For the Americans reading this, football=soccer ;)
    This is the complete press release;
    http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Mario-Goetze-remains-sidelined-metabolic-disturbances-diagnosed

Interesting to note that it has taken months to diagnose a top footballer with whatever he actually has.

Cohen2, Mary, Webdog and 11 others like this.
  2. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Interesting. Sadly a bit vague. Curious what disturbances....

3. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Thanks, Andy, that's interesting! A sad looking Mario Götze made the headlines of a lot of German newspapers today (football players are extremely popular in Germany). Normally I'm too exhausted to read newspapers, but I will have a look at these articles.

merylg, Aroa and AndyPR like this.
  4. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Hm, strange, it's not mentioned what kind of metabolic illness he has, but it's stretched, that it's treatable. He's not in hospital, but treated as an outpatient. While I'm typing this, I realize how bitter I've become, guess I now envy other people for having treatable illnesses. :(

Edited: typo

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. Harown

Harown

Germany
    The latest news was that he suffers a form of a fat/lipid metabolism disturbance.

merylg, A.B. and AndyPR like this.
  6. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Thanks @Harown and welcome to PR! :)

AndyPR likes this.
  7. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I hope this is ME and thus translates to more attention to curing a physical disease. Unfortunately the article is very vague.

8. Harown

Harown

Germany
    Thanks, Joh. I doubt it is ME, sb4. His main problems are muscle injuries rather than performance issues. It's said he exercises more than his colleagues - hard to imagine if he had ME.

sb4 and Joh like this.
  9. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

@Those in Germany, have any more details come out about this that you've seen?

10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I know what you mean, but I would not wish ME on anyone. Well, come to think of it, there are a few..

sb4 likes this.
  11. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Hi @AndyPR ,

Checked on the latest German gossip for you. :) It's all quite vague. Apparently Götze has a metabolic disorder called myopathy. One article said he can't properly convert food into energy (sounds familiar). He's in hospital (contrary to earlier reports), but it's not mentioned what kind of treatment he gets. Getting well is supposed to take "long" = rather months than weeks (I guess nobody here would consider this to be long ;)). But he's supposed to get completely cured.

The story leading up to the diagnosis sound kind of familiar: His fitness kept getting worse, although he trained more and harder. His blood tests came back without results. He put on weight, despite being on a strict diet. People started talking, that he didn't try hard enough and was throwing his talent away. And because he lacked the energy to socialize he was called arrogant. I'm not into football, but apparently there was a lively debate about why his performance was getting worse and everybody had an opinion (and it was pinned on his personality, like with ME).

Unfortunately there are no information on how he got diagnosed in the end. There was one doctor who believed him and decided to dig deeper than the others and found this "metabolic disorder".

But all these infos are from rainbow press articles, so no idea how accurate any of this is. :whistle:

merylg, Cohen2, AndyPR and 3 others like this.
  12. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

merylg, Cohen2 and Joh like this.
  13. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39281900

@Joh , impressive that your investigations led to them putting out this statement ;)

Joh likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.