1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Four: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 23 March 2014
It is Day Four and the final conference session from San Francisco. In this review we hear from Searcher about the neurosciences session, and PET and EEG analysis, then a study on cognitive functioning, followed by a debate on the revised 2014 IACFS/ME Primer, and then we wrap-up the...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Food sensitivities

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by Snow Leopard, Sep 21, 2010.

?

Are you sensitive to the following foods (see below for details)

1. Nuts

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Wheat/gluten

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  3. Lactose/milk/cheese

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  4. Nuts (at least one variety)

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. Soy

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. Salicylates

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  7. Oats

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Fructose

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  9. Corn

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  10. Other (please specify in a post)

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Hi, I am curious about how widespread food sensitivities are.

Please only choose a particular option if you know for sure you have a sensitivity to a particular food. Conformation of sensitivities include: skin prick test, patch test, skin rash after eating, positive result on hydrogen breath test, serious swelling, asthma, diarrhea, vomiting, IgA or IgE serology. Confirmation through an elimination diet is also preferable.

Do not choose any options on the basis of IgG serology, or Vega testing.
  2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    My "others" are nitrates and nitrites, two commonly used food additives/preservatives. Nitrates are used for cured meats such as bacon, sausage, etc. I have run into nitrites on nuts, strawberries and peanut butter.
  3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I picked the top six. You have nuts on there twice though. I also put other.

I am probably sensitive to corn and fructose but I am unsure.

I believe I'm sensitive to berries, citrus, legumes, cane sugar, artificial sweeteners, dried onion, preservatives, and a lot more.

I am sensitive to hot foods and cold (frozen) foods too.
  4. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Known (tested+confirmed):
    Wheat/Gluten, Egg, Soya, Pork, Chicken, Fish, Tomato, Carrot, Hazelnut, Peanut.

Testing via Allergy UK - just about the most useful testing I ever had; it has proved an extremely reliable guide, even in terms of indicating relative sensitivities.

I am basically left with beef, potatoes, green veg and fruit. Knowing this info made a radical difference, and has proved itself to be extremely reliable info; I knew 75% of these sensitivities when I took the test so I knew it was right immediately - it even got right the fact that I'm fine with milk and dairy - and it confirmed my additional suspicions about egg and fish also.

Now, when I deviate from my diet, I soon know about it, but so long as I have been basically on the beef and potatoes for a few months prior to that, it won't be too disastrous if I deviate occasionally. The effect is very clearly cumulative. Months of abstinence are needed to build up two or three days worth of tolerance. Similarly, from a chronic state, weeks of abstinence are needed before positive benefits begin to be observable.

In other words, the "sensitivity" is slight - much slighter than a true allergy - but somehow cumulative. Something accumulates much more quickly than it can be cleared; presumably it can no longer be cleared effectively; and so from those observations it seems likely that something(s) needed to produce the necessary digestive enzymes is deficient - and indeed those deficiencies and impaired pathways have been traced for me also, but not through the NHS of course...
  5. leaves

leaves Senior Member

nightshades here, and grains (although white rice I can tolerate somewhat now) and ehm.. well a lot of other stuff. :)
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Dammit. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. That means I left out another option that I have now forgotten. Probably preservatives or nightshades...
  7. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    Yeast and yeast extract is an important one. Can't eat it without getting a dizzy, drunk feeling.
  8. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I ticked milk, soy and wheat (though I do best avoiding all grains, which includes corn I guess.)
    The only other Biggie for me is MSG....oh wait and alcohol!
    :)
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I have variable but sometimes major sensitivity to salicylates, but I also picked "other" because I may be sensitive to amines, but I am still unsure. Bye, Alex
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Other: Yeast
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Other: Yeast and citrus, all my other allergies I checked. June
  12. Anne P

Anne P

Australia
    amines salycilates benzoates nitrates nitrites, yeast extract, vinegar, anything fermented, preservatives, sulphites, many many foods.

Anne
  13. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    I am sensitive to so many foods it is insane.....too many to list; however, one that is a biggie for me that is not listed is MSG.

See more popular forum discussions.