May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

folinic acid vs methylfolate; how do they affect you?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Kimsie, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

For those who have taken both, do any of you have anxiety type overmethylation symptoms with both? Or only with methylfolate and not folinic acid?

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Methyfolate was a nightmare - I was already unwell from MB12, then Mfolate pushed me into acidosis and to a extremely low serotonin state. I assume the anxiety feeling was due to hypoglycemia.

Folinic wasn't a problem at all.

Kimsie likes this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I experienced nothing notable w/ folinic, having tried it several times. I only occasionally got overmethylation sensations when increasing Mfolate, which were easily remedied by taking a MB12.

Kimsie likes this.
  4. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

Did you feel the effects the same day or did it take a while to build up?

5. Gondwanaland

I think I took methylfolate no more than 4x and then the acidosis symptoms became unberable. I was taking 400mcg and then the last time I took it twice by mistake (800mcg).

Kimsie likes this.
  6. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

So you noticed some symptoms the first time you took it?

7. Gondwanaland

Yes, I did.

8. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Same as the others. Folinic helps me sleep and helps with noise hypersensitivity. I'm tolerating methylfolate better than in the past (I think), but when I first tried it 3 years ago, it was HELL.

9. Gondwanaland

BTW my husband took Mfolate 1x something like twenty or thirty micrograms and his serotonin plummeted.

10. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I see no differences, positive or negative with either mfolate or folinic

11. Oberon

Oberon Senior Member

I am in no way knowledgable in biochemistry but wouldn't methylfolate increase Serotonin? I thought that's why it's successful with treatment resistant depression? What defines a low Serotonin state?

12. Gondwanaland

Me neither, but I read explanations from knowleadgeable folks here saying that 1) too much serotonin will inhibit serotonin production and this inhibition has a lot of momentum and lasts for several weeks 2) Mfolate activity in the brain is opposed to a SSRI, i.e., it increases serotonin reuptake and then you are left with none by the mechanism (1).
    Extreme sadness in my and my husband's experience.

I also ask myself how Mfolate acts when successfully used to treat depression.

See more popular forum discussions.