• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folic/folinic acid, folate, probiotics, potassium... confused.

M79

I have been reading the forum and about folic/folinic acid , folates, probiotics and potassium and I feel even more confused.

My tested fS-folate was 22nmol/l, reference <6. I have no idea whether that is good or bad.

I do not avoid green veggies purposely, I just cannot digest most of them. I do add kale or rucola to my smoothies.

Now I learned that probiotics may cause issues, just when I started to make yoghurt with probiotics to support my stomach. I have had bad experiences before with probiotics with added b5, but I figured it was because it was milk based. Even tho it said dairy free, but it had been cultured in milk.. I cannot tolerate dairy products many days in a row. Back then I got very weak after a week using that probiotics. I also started to eat banana again and that made me shaky and weak and just feeling poor. Back then I was not using ANY vitamins or supplements, none. Now I am wondering whether it had something to do with folic acids or just with the milk based probiotics.

Now I am making yoghurt from cashews, coconut milk and Solgars advanced multi-billion dophilus capsules. Taking only few spoonfuls every day to avoid possible side- effects.

I also started to question my diet now. I have learned about potassium and been wondering should I add it or not. I did some searching and found out my diet is also sort of rich with potassium or is it completely different with potassium taken as powder or capsules?

Here is example of my current diet, which way I have been eaten for past 3 years or so.

Buckwheat in 100 grams 460 mg potassium and 29.0 µ folate
Almond in 100 grams 740 mg potassium and 48.0 µ folate
Bilberry in 100 grams 100 mg potassium and 11.5 µ folate
water melon in 100 grams 100 mg potassium
sunflower seed in 100 grams 690 mg potassium and 60 µ folate
pumpkin seed in 100 grams 807 mg potassium and 54 µ folate
oat in 100 grams 410 mg potassium and 46 µ folate
chicken in 100 grams 180 mg potassium
hazelnuts in 100 grams 650 mg potassium and 72 µ folate
millet in 100 grams 88.2 mg potassium
quinoa in 100 grams 225 mg potassium and 51.5 µ folate
minced meat in 100 grams 230 mg potassium
grape fruits in 100 grams 230 mg potassium
liver patee in 100 grams 256 mg potassium and 407.8 µ folate
figs in 100 grams 680 mg potassium
flax seeds in 100 grams 813 mg potassium and 87 µ folate

this is the base diet. I do eat some fish , potatoes etc sometimes.

Every morning I eat pie made of buckwheat, almond flours and minced meat with oat meal. For lunch I have to eat buckwheat pasta with chicken. For a snack I eat either buckwheat-almondflour pancakes with liver patee and apple OR I make a smoothie. For dinner I eat either millet or quinoa with minced meat/fish. For night snack again pancakes with liver patee and apple.

My favorite smoothie : 200 grams bilberries, 200 grams water melon, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts and figs. So quick math this smoothie contains around 1000 mg potassium. I usually make one every day. Taking a break for few days does not seem to make a big difference except I get stomach ache, but I assume is the bilberry, since it is super good for stomach.

So can a diet contain enough potassium?

But then it is the tricky part. The place where I got the number states that the amount of folate presented is actually a sum of folinic acids and different type of folates. How do I figure out whether the issues is folinic acids? Cannot just skip my current diet since I am sensitive to many things.

Currently I am using b12, solgar 1000 mcg, havent yet found dosage that would work for me. I have now suffered from persistent flu for 3 weeks and it seems to continue as long as I take b12. Only stuffed nose, no proper fever. Not sure whether the flu has taken me few steps back because of bigger need of b12.

I also started zinc, now 15 mg every night. I dont take multivit every day, but that contains folic acid, which I dont feel causes any harm even if I take the multivit for a week full dosage.

For the first time I was on b12 for 10 days in a row, starting with 1000 mcg for 2 days , then lowered the dosage to 250 mcg for five days and then on 500 mcg fr 3 days. I have woke up sweating most mornings and I do feel b12 makes my body temp rise. Hard part is that during my ovulation which unfortunately seems to start basically right after my periods ends I do suffer from many uncomfortable symptoms, so I cannot even separate what is what anymore.

Symptoms that have disappeared or lessened since february are pain between shoulder blades, had that for years. Stiff and achy muscles, not present every day. Brain frog gone. Sleepiness, tiredness and extreme fatigue not present unless I am completely off of b12 for more than 2 days. I still dont feel healthy, very far from it, but feel better. Mentally I feel more calm and just in a weird way happier.

But now I am wondering is my diet super bad, do I eventually need to start the methylfolate and so on. There is so much information which is so hard to absorb.

Thanks.