• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folic acid - a promoter of growth for bacteria and fungi

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Np. I take a REALLY heavy probiotic, simple blunt force object. It is the Klaire Labs Detoxification 50 billion CFU one. Anything more lightweight leads to issues sadly. A SIBO test shows I have a bad bacterial dysbiosis running around like a bull in china shop but so far no luck on which one and how to curtail it. No parasites and Candida is well under control at least now.
Have any of you tried Olive Leaf Extract? I take 1g/day and the REASON I started taking it was because I do not make enough stomach acid to prevent overgrowth of bad stuff. And so I don't have gut troubles except as caused by low stomach acid, which I have determined is mainly a problem during allergy season (it takes zinc and P5P to make HCL which is the prime defense against bad flora and fauna in the gut). Velha cured herself of CFS and gut issues. The way she did it with gut issues was taking a smaller dose - around 300mg of olive leaf extract plus oil of oregano 250-300 or so mg and I think garlic was the third. Oil of oregano will even kill gram negative bacteria such as from a tooth infection. Velha said that probiotics made things worse. She took it once to get her started - some very strong brand like you take. But she said ongoing that it caused her prpblems and all she needed was the killer-triumvirate she took. I also do not take probiotics (except that I eat yogurt a few times a week). A honkin dose of OLE does it for me.

Oh yes...allergies seem to use up zinc and thus causes hypochlorhydria. I switched to zinc picolinate because this form is more absorbable. But there is only so much zinc I can take and my allergies outstrip what I feel is a safe consumption rate over time so as allergy season progresses at most I can slow down getting hypochlorhydria but I do my best. You should consider what allergies you might have...consider being tested if necessary. If it's food allergies, low zinc is probably THE problem. If it's airborne, zinc can help but is not enough...

From what I've been reading it seems that ingestion of small amounts of whatever you're allergic to might do the trick. Well they have proven that arthritis is an immune system response to bits of collagen in the bloodstream from joints and that undenatured collagen eaten (via chicken soup or pills called UC-II) trains the immune system not to recognize bits of collagen as an immune target -- it takes 3 months to work. I recall that the American Indian was NOT allergic to poison ivy and also ATE it! Maybe that was the reason why. I am allergic to cats and yet I am used to my own...how did that happen? Perhaps because I slep with them and - yuck - eat bits of their hair?! I am just wondering if this is a general principal that can be used against allergies - eat it and retrain the immune system. I'm going to try it...ordered the UC-II and I'm going to research how I can eat ragweed...certain teas are from the same family so maybe those would do? Dunno. It's just a promising angle.

So you can prevent overgrowth of stuff with herbal pathogen killers, but it is in the rhealm of possibility that the low HCL problem could be fixed so that no supplement would be needed. Maybe?!

Crux i see. i dont eat legume cause its heavy for digestion. but i do eat fermented soy and brown rice. i take oregano leaf, i dont know if its the same as the oil form.
triffid113 isnt zinc and copper have to stay balance? if not it could lead to issue.
anyway, i take oregano leaf, garlic and olive oil. i dont know if its the same/working or not. i got reaction from eating garlic though-

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
idk if oregano leaf = oil of oregano -- I doubt it has the same potency. I take Oreganol - a very high potency brand.
Yes, you need to take copper if you take zinc (sorry if I didn't say that). I take 100mg zinc picolonate during allergy season, 50mg zinc picolinate otherwise. I take 4mg copper picolinate all the time, except that since I can't take it same time as the zinc I sometimes miss taking it (about 25% of the time) so my average dose is less.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Some people can become deficient, but I've had blood tests done, and I accumulate folate.
Do you know what form(s) of folate you accumulate? Some people accumulate folic acid, but not folinic acid or methylfolate. They can accumulate folic acid in the blood and still be deficient in folate in the tissues because the folic acid is not being utilized.

Crux

Do you know what form(s) of folate you accumulate? Some people accumulate folic acid, but not folinic acid or methylfolate. They can accumulate folic acid in the blood and still be deficient in folate in the tissues because the folic acid is not being utilized.

I've only had serum folate tests done, so it's non-specific. The third time I had it done, I'd been avoiding folic acid and having very little methylfolate. ( By that time I'd discovered that folates were involved with my very painful symptoms.)

There are people who can have elevated serum folate and low CNS folate, but I think I'm not one of them.

It looks like I could be one who has: possibly excessive folate receptors, or maybe an up-regulation in DHFR enzymes. I don't have the wherewithal to test for this condition, so I'm going with symptoms.