1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FOLH1 484T>C rs202676 reduces folate absorption

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Kimsie, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Kimsie

Kimsie

I just ran across this tonight. It looks like this one significantly reduces folate absorption. Here is the reference:

http://www.psychweekly.com/aspx/article/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1581

FOLH1 genotype strongly differentiated between patients who showed a good treatment response and those who did not,” says Dr. Roffman. “The FOLH1 variant also had a significant effect on baseline blood folate levels. Individuals with the low functioning FOLH1 variant (484C) had significantly lower baseline folate levels compared to those with the high functioning variant (484T). This may explain why patients with the low functioning variant failed to show a significant improvement in negative symptoms, as it took 8 weeks for their folate levels to catch up to those found in patients with the normal functioning version of the gene.”
    Helen likes this.
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Thanks, very interesting as it has an impact on the methylation capacity. The gene is analysed in the 23andme, but so far I haven´t been able to check the SNP´s. Waiting for someone with more knowledge in gene analyse :)

Helen
    Sea likes this.
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
  4. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks for this article. It shows negative symptoms of schizophrenia are related to four SNPs:
    MTHFR 677C>T (rs1801133) (no surprise!)
    MTR 2756A>G (rs1805087)
    FOLH1 484T>C (rs202676)
    COMT 675G>A (rs4680)

That settles it, I'm taking folate for life.
    Journeyman and Sea like this.
  5. Kimsie

Kimsie

Our son with schizophrenia is MTR 2756 +-, COMT rs4680 ++, COMT rs4633 ++ and probably has at least one copy of FOLH1, he doesn't have MTHFR 677, but he does have 1298. He also may have MTHFD1 G1958A (I have one copy). Since we started giving him B12 and methylfolate he said he feels that his 'brain fog" is a lot better. When he first became ill I took him to an orthomolecular doctor who put him on B12 shots, but he didn't give him high levels of any form of folate, so it didn't do any good. (This was 9 years ago) I think the folate can be pretty important.
    Critterina likes this.
  6. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Wow, sorry for his troubles, but so good he's making progress!
  7. Journeyman

Journeyman

Nice one Sea - I logged into 23*Me to check what allele I might have and I'm guessing I've got a -/- non mutated but just wish to confirm because I don't really know how to read this kind of info yet.... Please see the attachment:
    FOLH-1 Results 23andMe.jpg
    Sea likes this.
  8. Kimsie

Kimsie

The GG allele is the mutation, so you are correct; you don't have it.
    Journeyman likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.