1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Folates from vegetables

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Journeyman, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I cut them up in small bits and put them in the mix, to enjoy the crunchy feeling and also to avoid tiring the engine of my liquidizer.
    Ideally we should eat ALL the pieces. The connective tissue is extremely important. You can find it in other parts of the meat too, so other parts with a good concentration of connective tissue are very good too. But I still think we need the ear foot tail parts as in my experience there is something there that we sorely lack.
    I am so happy it makes you feel better!
    Lots and lots of good wishes :hug:
    Be well!
    Asklipia
    :devil: FFP :devil:

yukito likes this.
  2. kelly138

kelly138

is there a nice simple list of what foods / veggies are high in folinic acid - something I could read and use to buy things are a small - nonasian market?

3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

A home pressure cooker should not have the ability to turn folate into glutamate. In the US, a home pressure cooker is only rated to a maximum 15 psi relative to your current barometric pressure. So, at sea level, we are talking about an absolute pressure of 29 psi inside the pressure cooker, which is about 0.2 MPa (Megapascals).

However, the pressure from high pressure canned/vacuum packed food (known as "HPP" in the food industry), is put under much higher pressure.
    To give you an idea of what kind of high pressure we are talking about...

100 MPa = 14,503 psi
    800 MPa = 116,030 psi

That's a ridiculous amount of pressure. Home pressure cookers (with only 29 psi of absolute pressure, at sea level) are nowhere near that kind of pressure.

So, here's what the research says about folate when it's exposed to the extreme "HPP" high pressure in the canning industry:
    But let's not confuse High Pressure Processing (HPP) with a home pressure cooker. As we see above, they are completely different. A home pressure cooker can only obtain 15 psi above your current atmospheric pressure (= absolute measurement of ~29 psi at sea level). That's the equivalent of 0.2 MPa. According to that study, the degradation of folate would not happen until 200 MPa (or 29,007 psi) or above.

In fact, it appears that home pressure cookers are very good at preserving folate, as this study points out.
    According to that study, you'll retain more folate by using a pressure cooker than by boiling (it's because you use less water with a pressure cooker). A home pressure cooker is nothing like those industrial canners—not even in the same universe!

PeterPositive, ahmo and Asklipia like this.
  4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia

See more popular forum discussions.