• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folates for boosting histamine

Peyt

If you really want to raise your histamine levels why don't you take histidine or better let pure histamine sublingually instead. Believe it or it is actually avail and there are pple using it to treat MS. Folic acid is not the same as methylfolate, it has no methyl groups so at some point you also have to decide if you are an over or under methylator. If you think you are an over methylator then you won't need too much methyl groups and folic or folinic acid will work for you.
If u eat lots of smoked fish, fermented foods (eg cheese kimchi wine ketchup) u raise your histamine lvls quite a bit naturally.

Funny you say this, because I have been doing exactly that (Taking Histadine) and my headaches are all gone...
I am so happy but at the same time so frustrated that all this time Dr. Mensah never mentioned Histadine.... now I have no problem taking Folic Acid and my headaches are gone for the last 3 days.... I was gonna wait another week to make sure headaches wont return before posting but after I saw your post I could not resist.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@adreno so if someone is having too much histamine, then Folate is bad? I do not take folate anyway but just want to confirm I got this right? Will google the other parts tomorrow and am not familiar with them and this whole issue is still new for me. Thanks again!

As I said above, methylation is needed to break down histamine. So folate isn't "bad", but you might want to be careful with dosing, so as not to overdrive your immune response.

If you have high histamine, it's likely a sign of an excessive immune response. So you need to damp down the inflammation in general.

Okay... I need some feedback. I feel very muddled about all this.

I have pretty bad seasonal allergies, which mostly effect my brain and make me very wired. My sleep is much worse than usual during pollen season. This leads me to conclude I have HIGH histamine.

BUT... just this past week, I took the smallest possible smidge of THORNE FOLACAL a couple times on a couple of diffrent days, and each time it had a *horrible* effect on my brain, causing pretty severe depression. I vaguely remember this happening when I tried the folate that Rich recommended a few years ago, but that time I took a much higher dose and it took several weeks before I started having the depressive symptoms.

SO what to make of this... am I high histamine or low histamine...?
I asked before, but I am still confused.

Gingergrrl

I am very confused too but have confirmed histamine blood test 3x the normal level plus two recent very bad reactions to food dyes. I also did not tolerate folate & B12 when I attempted them last year.

undcvr

@Dreambirdie you may not have a histamine problem at all you might have weak adrenals that are causing your allergy issues and your histamine issue is a response to that. The strongest anti inflammatory our body has is cortisol, at higher amounts it works as an immune suppressant dampening the inflammation response to allergens. If you don't produce enuf of it your immune system can literally over react to everything. In fact the most powerful allergy nasal sprays are all made of cortisone derivatives. Immune suppression is not a bad thing especially in this case.

Peyt

Okay... I need some feedback. I feel very muddled about all this.

I have pretty bad seasonal allergies, which mostly effect my brain and make me very wired. My sleep is much worse than usual during pollen season. This leads me to conclude I have HIGH histamine.

BUT... just this past week, I took the smallest possible smidge of THORNE FOLACAL a couple times on a couple of diffrent days, and each time it had a *horrible* effect on my brain, causing pretty severe depression. I vaguely remember this happening when I tried the folate that Rich recommended a few years ago, but that time I took a much higher dose and it took several weeks before I started having the depressive symptoms.

SO what to make of this... am I high histamine or low histamine...?
I asked before, but I am still confused.

My recommendation would be , instead of trying to guess take the histamine test.. you are spending all this money on supplements that are not working, why not take an actual test which will show you the direction you need to go... besides the histamine test is only $60 :
http://pyroluriatesting.com/shop/histamine/

Dreambirdie

work in progress
My recommendation would be , instead of trying to guess take the histamine test.. you are spending all this money on supplements that are not working, why not take an actual test which will show you the direction you need to go... besides the histamine test is only $60 :
http://pyroluriatesting.com/shop/histamine/

The histidine is cheaper than the test, so I bought some and am going to try it and see.