• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate intolerance or deficiency? Suggestions?

Violeta

Peter, I would be interested to hear if you figured anything else out about this. I can't eat high folate foods, and very rarely take methylfolate since last year when it was causing the problems that I was having then to get worse. I wonder if not being able to eat the folate rich foods causes a folate deficiency, it certainly couldn't be that we don't need it, wouldn't you think?

I just read the thread about peroxynitrite and was trying to figure out if there is somehow a tie in between the pain that folate rich foods cause in my gut, a chronic virus, and perhaps the combination of the three of them causing not only pain but also folate deficiency.

I have what I thought was a very severe sensitivity to goitrogens, but now I'm wondering if it's actually the folate instead.

ahmo

@Violeta A year ago I'd been raising and raising my Mfolate dosages, still having deficiency symptoms. then I realized I was also having adrenal stress signs. I stopped the green veggie intake, and methylation took off. I was in a detox process at the time, and suddenly it was galloping. When the episode was over and I restarted my Mfolate, without the green veggies, I needed only 1/2 of what I'd been taking, 15mg Mfolate instead of 30. Later I switched to taking folate sublingually, and again reduced it from 15mg to 5 mg. I continue to use 5mg, divided into 3 doses, capsules dumped into my lower gumline.

Veg folate is in the folinic form, which is a problem for some w/ MTHFR, like me.

Violeta

Oh, really? I didn't know that, I thought vegetables would have the folate form! Very interesting. I'll try small doses and see what happens. Thank you!

Violeta

@Violeta A year ago I'd been raising and raising my Mfolate dosages, still having deficiency symptoms. then I realized I was also having adrenal stress signs. I stopped the green veggie intake, and methylation took off. I was in a detox process at the time, and suddenly it was galloping. When the episode was over and I restarted my Mfolate, without the green veggies, I needed only 1/2 of what I'd been taking, 15mg Mfolate instead of 30. Later I switched to taking folate sublingually, and again reduced it from 15mg to 5 mg. I continue to use 5mg, divided into 3 doses, capsules dumped into my lower gumline.

Veg folate is in the folinic form, which is a problem for some w/ MTHFR, like me.

@ahmo I was looking up a list of high folate vegetables and found this:

While folic acid and folate are often marketed as one and the same, their metabolic effects can be quite different. Folate is the bioavailable, natural form of vitamin B9 found in a variety of plant and animal foods. Folic acid, while readily utilized by the body, is the synthetic form of the vitamin, often found in supplements and fortified foods. The body is more adept at using folate and will regulate healthy levels by releasing excess through the urine.

Isn't fake folic acid the stuff they add to foods?

ahmo

Isn't fake folic acid the stuff they add to foods?
Yes. I was dismayed to find Andrew Weil recommending folic acid last year. Some people here do fine on folinic, it's what Rich VanK recommended. It never helped me when I tried it as a supp, and from veggies, has proved to be worse than useless.
Here's Ben Lynch on folic/folate:
http://mthfr.net/folic-acid-awareness-week-2014-want-awareness-here-you-go/2014/01/08/

http://mthfr.net/folic-acid-fortification-increase-in-mthfr-and-rise-in-autism/2012/05/11/
http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/