1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Folate brought back Bartonella

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Tiger Lily 813, May 20, 2014.

1. Tiger Lily 813

Tiger Lily 813 Senior Member

New York City
    After taking methylfolate (1mg) for 1.5 months, my bartonella symptoms came back from remission in full force and no longer respond to the treatment that I used a couple years ago that formerly got rid of it.

I stopped the methylfolate experiment 2 months ago when I noticed that it had a direct effect on the bartonella symptoms.

I did try some flushing niacin to undo the methylfolate, but that doesn't seem to help.

I was tested for potassium & am not low in it.

I am now working on fighting bartonella with many different methods, but no success yet & it still bothers me that the methylfolate brought it out and I can't figure out a way to rectify what I did. Any ideas? Thanks <3

2. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

are you taking anything else to fight bartonella? like tindamax or cat's claw?

3. Tiger Lily 813

Tiger Lily 813 Senior Member

New York City
    @acrosstheveil I have tried some herbals and they weren't right for me. In the past, MMS took away all my symptoms, but doesn't work this time. I'm trying new things now too.

But I really want to know what I did methylation wise that would have caused this, and how to fix that problem. I have a feeling that the things I try against Bart. right now are failing because of this methylation issue I've gotten into.

4. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Perhaps some targeted bio-resonance for Bart would help?

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Were you also taking sublingual or injection B12? If you don't take B12 along with folate, it will cause methyl trapping and cause you to get worse. If that's case, niacin wouldn't do anything because you weren't methylating.

If you were taking B12, the other possibility is that you may actually require a much higher amount of folate, and lower amounts will cause you to go backwards. Quite a few people on here are reporting this.

Testing for potassium is tricky because it's only what's in the cells that counts. A blood test will just show what's floating around in the blood. My blood test was high normal while I'm actually deficient and need to supplement. I believe a hair test might be ok.

You won't require extra potassium if you were causing methyl trapping and thus not methylating.

Try reading the two documents in my signature "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation" before proceeding.

fprefect, Alea Ishikawa and maryb like this.
  6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Do you mean methyl B12 or regular B12?

7. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    What is "regular" B12? There's methyl B12, hydroxo B12, cyano B12, adenosyl B12 and probably others I've forgotten.

8. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

@SOC
    More so implying everything that isn't methylated

9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Short answer - yes.

Long answer, cyano (regular) doesn't convert as easily to a useable form (but some of it would still convert), hydroxy is a little better, methyl is the best. Adenosyl helps the mitochondria, but isn't really involved in methylation like the others. Although I think it's supposed to be possible for adenosyl to convert to methyl.

10. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Gotcha. :thumbsup: Anything that's not methyl B12.

11. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Folate can feed bacteria. It is not a methylation problem as such.

Tiger Lily 813 and Asklipia like this.
  12. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

yea, my i noticed my lyme symptoms improve when i take a minimal dose of methylfolate rather than a larger dose. High dose iodine also helps tremendously. but, alas, still no "cure".

See more popular forum discussions.