Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FOI requests reveal how media & parliament being fed stories of ME "harassment"

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Woolie, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

@Countrygirl just posted this on another thread, but it deserves its own (there have been some previous threads on the topic, but none I can see that supply the full details).

Its a report from Tymes Trust, posted on their facebook page, which gives details of various emails and meeting minutes involving the UK Research Collaborative, that were released following a successful FOI request.

The full doc is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/92m09l9tq55pihh/Behind the Scenes - Research Collaborative.pdf?dl=0

Highlights:

Some key notes from a meeting held in January 2013 (bolding is mine):
    Action Points raised at the same meeting:
    Email from Esther Crawley to group, March 2014:
    Do people see evidence here of an organised campaign by a small but powerful and well-connected group to discredit patients who disagree with them?

2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Other notable excerpts

In an email regarding establishing the composition of the UK Research Collaborative

Barry53, ahmo and SOC like this.
  3. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    It sure looks like that group of researchers got together and planned how to introduce the notion of harassment, and then fed the flames.... Once the H word was out in the media, the actual form of the harassment no longer mattered. The media can be relied on to exaggerate, and so the campaign gathered momentum.

Which of course, leads one to consider whether those same researchers actually knew that their theory of ME was wrong from the outset..... Why else refer to the questions etc as vexatious??? Money and reputation on the line for them and financial considerations for the government, health system, insurance companies.... and the driving forces behind the whole thing?

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but you have to wonder..

CantThink, ahmo, SOC and 3 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    None of those things are harassment. First they redefine our illness, then they redefine harassment. How on earth do they get away with it? Did no-one at any point say "hang on a minute, those things aren't harassment", and wonder why there were so many FOI requests, complaints, and parliamentary questions about these people and their antics?

Simon, Keela Too, CantThink and 10 others like this.
  5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Some more from the Science Media Centre proudly celebrating what they have done:

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/w...arch-function-at-the-Science-Media-Centre.pdf

Remember all the articles framing a mysterious group of people as dangerous ME terrorists who are damaging science and making Wessely feel safer in war-zones? Now we know who orchestrated them.

6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I do think, @daisybell, that this document suggests these folks really believe in what they're touting. Which isn't to say they don't also have their eyes on the prize at the same time. To me, its kind of a doubly dangerous combination: self-interest and unflappable belief.

Sean and Ritto like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Oh my lord, it would appear now that this whole thing was actually engineered by the researchers themselves, in cohouts with the SMC. I've been pretty calm up till now, but now I'm really angry!

What an outrageous thing to do - to smear a whole group of sick people, in order to silence them... and promote totally unsupported psychogenic bullshit!

The total irony is that they bang on about our fear of the "stigma" of mental health problems, but oh how they've used that very same "stigma" as a weapon to silence us. Do you really think any other group of patients could be so effectively and entirely tainted by these kinds of anecdotes? Let's see, AIDS activists?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    That isn't what the SMC is for, surely. Can a case be made for abusing their position and subverting the work of the SMC? Who would one complain to?

Otraust, CantThink, SOC and 1 other person like this.
  9. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

10. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think ME patients are probably the most stigmatised group perhaps baring those with severe obesity.

I've always said that for a lot of the statements they make around harassment if you were to substitute in an alternative minority group it would be considered (or verging on) hate speech and unacceptable.

Keela Too, CantThink, mango and 8 others like this.
  11. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

So after all the complaining about the abuse of researchers, "vexatious FOIs" are the worst?

Two or three "vexatious" requests over several years (according to them), oh the humanity!

Can science survive the onslaught?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Sea, CantThink, lycaena and 7 others like this.
  12. Wildcat

Wildcat

The SMC should not be on the inside of the CMRC. Early on it was officially stated by the CMRC that the SMC merely had 'an observer role' in the CMRC. Far from being mere observers, they seem to be embedded in it, and the SMC role goes way beyond observation.

By the way ... the FOI 'Behind the scenes CMRC' emails were first placed in the public sphere by Jane Colby in august 2014. There is a PR thread on it from that time.

Keela Too, RustyJ, CantThink and 6 others like this.
  13. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I am not surprised.

What can one expect in a country whose primeminister let his grandchild eat a hamburger on TV to show BSE is not a risk? Who do you think advised him to do that?

14. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

For the avoidance of doubt, that was not a prime minister. That was John Selwyn Gummer, now Baron Deben. He was the Agriculture Minister at the time.

Wildcat likes this.
  15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Okay, I did see some threads but none including the key excerpts. Feel a bit dumb now.... but still angry!

CantThink, SOC and Wildcat like this.
  16. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think one of those was for numbers of data already published in a graph form.

Woolie likes this.
  17. Wildcat

Wildcat

@Woolie ... Yes, damn right. patients are justifiably angry. It was all done/arranged in secret, behind our backs. It was ages before patients realised that Peter White was on the collaborative (he isn't anymore, they've got Alistair Miller now)!

White's presence was 'justified' by the CMRC as part of the 'Broad Church' and 'big unbrella' ethos of the CMRC that its members go on about..

Woolie likes this.
  18. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    The Prime Minister was the one who left his 8 year old daughter in the pub and only realised when he got home

19. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I see this apparent "balance" was fabricated too, @Wildcat. Given Wessely's email: “sprinkle one or two scientists/researchers not particularly connected with CFS into the mix'.

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Not a good look, is it.

See more popular forum discussions.