Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FODMAP!!!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by msf, Nov 24, 2017.

1. msf

msf Senior Member

echobravo, Helen, ebethc and 4 others like this.
  2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I have fructose malabsorption so have definitely tried it and it didn't improve anything.

Edit: I'm still on a low FODMAP diet anyway but severe MCAS and EoE likely overshadow any suffering FODMAPs might be producing.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Plum and ebethc like this.
  4. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

Problem with those studies is they can’t be blinded...

5. Gondwanaland

ebethc and msf like this.
  6. Gondwanaland

They say oats are low FODMAPs but I react horribly to oats - phenols.

wonderoushope, ebethc and ScottTriGuy like this.
  7. msf

msf Senior Member

Could be because they are full of insoluble fibre.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  8. Gondwanaland

It feels like phenols though, it is like an estrogen overload.

9. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

One of the problems for me is that it's the total load of toxins/irritants that sets off my immune system... e.g. if the air is super clean and the humidity is low (..or low-ish) and the barometric pressure is steady and it's not too hot/cold, then my digestion is better... It's very chicken vs egg, which, I believe, is common.

Agreed that changing/experimenting w diet is the proverbial "low hanging fruit" and foundational to immune problems

10. Murph

Murph :)

Rolled Oats, if you eat more than around 80 grams, contain high amounts of FODMAPs.

I'm on a strict low FODMAP diet for the last few years. I didn't notice that eating FODMAPs was the cause of my problems but a) over the years since I cut them out I've seen some improvements and b) If I eat fodmaps now I often get a crash soon after.

fodmaps are basically prebiotics, is my understanding, and they feed your gut bugs. if you have bad gut bugs, you're better off keeping them starved.

11. wonderoushope

wonderoushope Senior Member

I realised I had issues with FODMAP's after going on the RPAH chemical intolerance diet. I think taking out fodmaps have certainly helped as well as taking out other foods that are an issue, but my fatigue still flares up.

12. Gondwanaland

Last time I tried oats 2 yrs ago (I think it was steel cut) I ate 1/2 TEAspoon of cooked oats and crashed

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ebethc and Murph like this.
  13. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    I have this exact same experience! *waves* @hixxy

hixxy likes this.
  14. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Auckland, NZ
    I found it v useful for sorting out ibs . Found I had issues with fructans ( all grains ) and fructose .
    Have since started ketogenic diet and doing well . It's summer here and I always do better in summer so I'm not sure it's entirely diet related . Not having the loopy ibs whichnive had for 35 odd years is fabulous . Whether just avoiding my fodmaps helps ME I doubt . Keto helps the ME and the ibs . Gotta really watch electrolytes carefully

ebethc likes this.
  15. Bedshaped

Bedshaped Living life on difficult mode: "Godlike"

FODMAP did not do much for me, maybe because I’ve already excluded a lot of different things years before being aware of the concept.

See more popular forum discussions.