Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Flushing - WOW!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by optimist, Dec 23, 2014.

1. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I've been reading about people getting something called flushing. Today I tried some niacin... and eeehhmm. WOW! Now I know what you mean! That is a super funny sensation. My face is smoking hot and tingling :D Just had to share that! Have a good day! :thumbsup:

Comet, ahmo, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  2. Kenshin

Kenshin

I heard of this there is also "non flush" niacin but some people say its not as good,
    what are the benefits of niacin for you?

3. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I have no idea of possible benefits so far - just experimenting. I've not taken niacin before, so I am very new to this. I was just so overwhelmed with the flushing thing. It was incredibly weird :)

4. Kenshin

Kenshin

I want to try it lol what brand is it?

5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

@optimist How much did you take? I have taken as much as 50mg and never got a flush!

6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    At naturopathy collage we were taught that if someone flushes with it, it shows their body was needing it.

7. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Niacin dilates the blood vessels. The 'flush' is a sign of niacin saturation in the body. The intensity is dependent on how much niacin you have taken.

Sushi likes this.
  8. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I bought a Now Foods 500µg jar as I saw a thread where niacin was discussed to help with certain symtoms, but now I have forgotten which :rolleyes: Anyways, I read that this is a far to big dose to start with, and one can have bad reactions to it. So I opened the capsule and took about 1/10, which should be about 50µg.

15 minutes later I had more or less forgotten about it, but then my face became weird deluxe. Then I remembered somehting about flushing and red skin, and I though could this be it. I searched for flushing, and saw that it was normally in the face region. I relaxed my shoulders 50 cm as I was getting a bit scared that I was getting some sort of allergic reaction.

I also read somewhere that the flushing should mean we have enough of it... if it dillates the blood vessels, it must be very good for headaches?! No?

9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

you mean 500mg
    50mg
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Yupp! I've gotten dimensionconfused :)

11. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

Just had my first niacin flush the other day, after taking it for several months. Wow - it was intense. My entire body was lobster red and my skin felt badly sunburned. Thankfully, I realized what it was and it passed in about 45 minutes. But, yeah - very intense!

12. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I think this is the important part... if I had not known what was happening, I might have thought that I was having an allergic reaction. I've heard about these peanut stories where peoples necks swell up and block their air ways, and that was where my though travelled first :D

13. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    It's actually quite effective for treating migraines. Here's a sample quote from an article at the helpformigraines Web site:

optimist likes this.
  14. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    That's interesting. I have some people in my family who suffers from migraine. I might give them some niacin then :)

See more popular forum discussions.