Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fluge & Mella's pre-trial study highlights life-changing potential of rituximab

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Sasha, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Yeah I said that. In Canada too, it would be free if there was a doctor willing to prescribe it and a hospital willing to administer it. All we need is approval, and for the doctor to unlearn everything they have learnt about ME. I think it is where reside te hurdle.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    MEMum, Dechi and deleder2k like this.
  2. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Absolutely, I don't know whether some insurance plans will cover it or not. It is not my area of expertise. As a Norwegian I know nothing about health insurance. It is an unknown world for me. It goes both ways though. I remember when I was trying to convince University of Miami that the Kingdom of Norway would pay my medical bills if I got sick, and that pre-existing conditions were included. They refused to accept the letter from the Norwegian Department of Health three times because they didn't believe that the actual Norwegian government would pay anything since I hadn't paid a dime for it, and since pre-existing conditions were included. They claimed that if I was medically covered it must have been through a private company which then the government paid... After more letters they finally accepted my medical insurance certificate from the Department of Health in Norway.

One odd thing though is if you pay for Rituximab in Norway you'll be charged 25% VAT (similar to sales tax). That means you pay thousands of dollars for a medicine because the public healthcare system has nothing to offer you - and top of that you'll be charged a 25% tax...

Lets hope Rituximab will be approved for some of us shortly. I don't know whether it will be approved in the UK if the results are good, but then UK residents can fly over the North Sea to Norway to get private treatment if they can afford it.

MEMum, ukxmrv, Murph and 3 others like this.
  3. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    2022??!!!
    Does that need to be adjusted for Brexit?

MEMum and deleder2k like this.
  4. Kenny Banya

Australia
    You could fake Rheumatoid Arthritis.

MEMum likes this.
  5. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

If the Norwegian trial does show good results, and if we also get a biomarker that shows who's likely to benefit or not I would certainly decide getting treatment at a private hospital. I don't know the rules in U.K or Australia, but I would guess that great doctors at private hospitals would be able to treat patients off label with rituximab. Then you have two phase 2 studies, + a major study with 152 patients. Rituximab is not a new drug. I can't see why an experienced rheumatologist/oncologist at a private facility shouldn't be allowed to decide to go down this path if the results are as good as we hope.

AndyPR, Valentijn, Webdog and 4 others like this.
  6. Kenny Banya

Australia
    My understanding is that off label is not government subsidised so the cost would be huge
    Admittedly, it would at least save the $10,000 in accomodation & plane flights from Australia to Norway, 5 times over 12 months!!

deleder2k likes this.
  7. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Lets hope some doctors in AU or NZ will act after the study is published. I guess flyin' to Sydney or Brisbane is somewhat cheaper than flying to Stavanger from the land of kangaroos and convicts! :cool:

MEMum likes this.
  8. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

MEMum and Gingergrrl like this.
  9. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thank you for that info and I bookmarked the link but I would be very hesitant to use a bio-similar version of Rituximab at his point b/c we don't know what additives or fillers are in it that could be toxic or cause an allergic reaction. If I truly get the opportunity to try it (still don't know), it would only be the true brand version of Rituximab even if it costs more.

MEMum likes this.
  10. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Webdog and MEMum like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Biosimilars are each completely different drugs and have to undergo their own safety and efficacy trials to be considered safe and viable treatments.

Truxima being approved is interesting, however being approved for a cancer which is highly likely to kill you is different from being approved for an autoimmune condition. Cancer drugs can often be tentatively approved without very large phase three trials, even if there is risk of death from the drug, simply because the overall risk of death with the treatment is less than the alternatives.

edit - it seems Truxima has been approved for RA... Interesting. If the current Rituximab trials demonstrate efficacy, there is scope for Truxima trials for ME.

Gingergrrl and MEMum like this.
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    That is very interesting and I am going to confirm w/my doctor that if I am indeed approved for RTX that I am given the REAL RTX and my insurance does not try to give me Truxima or some generic version. Am so glad I saw this.

See more popular forum discussions.