• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fluge and Mella get 340 000 $ for bigger rituximab study 2012

redo

Good news indeed. If tiny Norway have some ten thousand patients, it means around one percent will be on it. Let's say only ten percent would apply, that would mean the patients have a 1/10 chance of getting accepted (or 9/10 chance of getting rejected, depending on how you put it).

And of course, it could result in a paradigm shift in how ME is dealt with.

eric_s

I hope other countries and other groups will not just wait. So far i think i've heard from the Mount Sinai group and Dan Peterson that they are interested, but i'm not sure anymore.

It's good news, but i just wish it wouldn't always take such a long time. I like the pragmatic attitude of the norwegian people and institutions involved though. It seems they are going after the facts and are quite open to take things the way they are.

eric_s

And you know what i like? It seems the Lightning Process people and friends are getting quite a beating on TV2, even though i don't understand what the articles say. It's good that the public learns about these things now.

Tuha

here I found an english translation:
English translation - Today we woke to the news that the Health Minister is going to give 2 million extra for ME research at Haukeland University Hospital.

The good news comes ahead of an interpellation in Parliament where it will be asked to follow-up of ME research, and can be read in Aftenposten and is broadcast on TV2 News channel (among other things, the case will eventually be updated).

Updated: Here is the case on TV2's website: "ME-doctors get two million to further research"

- Therefore, we reach two million extra to the Health West so that the two cancer doctors will be able to continue this research, says Health Minister Anne Grete Strm-Erichsen. The Minister will present the measure in Parliament today. (Aftenposten 28.11.11)

Case in today's Aftenposten.

In addition, the Health Minister announce that a new national Center for ME will be added to the South-East and Oslo University.

There is no doubt that this is good news and a strong signal that the Health and Care Services takes seriously that this must be a priority. It shows the earmarking of money to scientists Fluge and Mella at Haukeland Hospital.

But it has already been a reaction to that 2 million is a relatively low amount in this context. How much is needed to start the much talked about multi-center study of Rituximab with 100-150 patients is not yet clear, but one can assume that it takes at least 10 million. Now, too, health trusts their funding where they can make priorities in research, and we hope that there are opportunities here. Otherwise it may indeed be possible for some funding from private sources and funds, perhaps?

Updated: After watching the interview with Health Minister (see here), and thought a bit and discussed a bit, I'm more positive! It is now clear that this is a start, and considering that both the health authorities to prioritize research and studies will run over several years, I am now more optimistic that the necessary funds will be provided.

At the new National Centre for ME is added to the OUS is probably quite natural, and I hope it means that ME / CFS Center with Dr. Barbara Baumgarten, Austin spearheaded allowed to run this!

Interpellation in Parliament is in the day, and it is expected now what we will hear the Minister of Health answer there.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
It's good news, but i just wish it wouldn't always take such a long time. I like the pragmatic attitude of the norwegian people and institutions involved though. It seems they are going after the facts and are quite open to take things the way they are.

This is true.. Results towards the end of 2013... But in the big picture, the drug won't become available as a generic until the end of 2013-start of 2014 at the earliest (outside of the USA). Assuming this and any other studies are positive, this means that patients could in principle get the drug "off label" at around that time. It will still be expensive due to the two hospital stays, but a lot more affordable than, say Ampligen.

Enid

Great news - a personal friend started Norwegian ME over 12 years ago (and diagnosed me) - they just never gave up in the long hard battle for correct recognition of the disease. (About 15,000 I hear afflicted there - small country - one would expect more from the larger ones).

Battery Muncher

Good news. Frustrating that it seems so difficult to get any funding... you'd have thought some other countries would have picked up on this. Progress still seems very slow, though, although I am pretty grateful given how little hope I had just a couple of months back!

LBS

This is good news. I hope that they will get good, useful results and that patients will finally begin to get some useful therapies!