• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu shot/vax and auto-immune & cfs issues

xrayspex

Can any science smart person explain to me how having an auto-immune dx is related to having an elevated immune system, I assume thats why immune suppressants used. So if one's system in overdrive would a flu shot increase immune stimulation in theory? Are all vax similar in doing that, and if so shouldnt auto-immune people avoid them (yet some AI folks tell me they like getting their annual flu shot even if they are on plaquenil or other suppresant)

how does that all work? I am concerned cus in position of employer trying to mandate me into having flu shot and since my system already stimulated and I am not the phlegmy variety of cfs :) and havent had flu or cold for years, I would prefer not to play russian roulette cus I have MCS bigtime. Since got dx with Sjogrens have increasingly more foods that make me sick.

but on other hand maybe i would get flu shot and feel awesome. seems like crap shoot sigh, dont want to lose job but don't want to be sheep. i spoke with public health in our state and compulsory flu vax is rec'd and most hospitals and clinics going to it, they said its a societal "trend".

I do think the writing is on the wall. so my crude interpretation is that govmts want to prevent illness and its best for majority perhaps to do it but people like us are in minority and accepted casualties (for variety of things, not all vax casualties) so they will be increasingly moving n that direction of mass immunization for adults too of new things for flu etc The powers that be will squelch info on minority problems with it. public health told me that no one in US has legally been succcessful at fighting mandated flu shot in work place supposedly.

another part of me wonders if its political besides public protection but to line pockets of big pharma, but that sounds like a reach altho its also not implausible. but thats harder to fight, its all hard to fight actually.

FunkOdyssey

I think your concerns are valid and I would not get the flu shot or any vaccination unless it was critically important or unavoidable, out of fear it would worsen my condition.

SOC

What is the opinion of the doc who treats your Sjogrens about vax for people with autoimmune disease?

I think part of our confusion is that there is not just one high/low switch on the immune system. Just because one part/function of the immune system is running high, doesn't mean other parts are running high also. We could have autoimmune problems and poor ability to fight viruses.

I get the flu vaccine (not the live one) because I can control (to some extent) when I'm ill with the flu and it's a less severe flu than I get if I don't have the vaccine. If you never get the flu anyway, that is probably a non-issue for you. OTOH, if you don't get the flu anyway, I don't think the vaccine is likely to do you any harm. Exposure to the flu, one way or another, doesn't seem to worsen your condition.

I always hope that as many healthy people as possible get the vaccines because that means I'm less likely to be exposed to a virus my body can't handle. ;) Given that I want others to do their bit toward herd immunity for my own selfish reasons, I try to do my bit and get vaccines I can reasonably handle. I DO NOT get any of the live virus vaccines, so I'm dependent on other people not to expose me to those illnesses, so I'm grateful to those who do get vaccines.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
how does that all work? I am concerned cus in position of employer trying to mandate me into having flu shot and since my system already stimulated and I am not the phlegmy variety of cfs :) and havent had flu or cold for years, I would prefer not to play russian roulette cus I have MCS bigtime. Since got dx with Sjogrens have increasingly more foods that make me sick.

Of course we are all different! but I had a very bad reaction to the last flu shot I got--have not taken one since. They ask you whether you are allergic to eggs before they administer it. I don't know if you need documentation, but if you decide you don't want to get the shot, you could say you are allergic to eggs.

Flu shots also have Thimerosal (mercury) in them, unless you get one that is preservative-free, in a single dose, preloaded syringe. (That is not what employers use).

Sushi

xrayspex

Sushi i am sensitive to eggs but may not show up allergic per se if they test me
I think they require documentation for anything i would want to do to get out of it. they also offer to have their own person test you for the egg sensitivity.....they are getting really draconian about it. mY prediction is it will eventually be mandated for everyone.

xrayspex

SOC I know what you are saying, if vax do help prevent spread of disease than thats good, but dilemma is how to know if you're an outlier before you do it or may not know the bad effects if get them, could be indirect, my autoimmune symptoms worsen the same year I had the tetanus shot, but I also had a root canal around then too and other stressors so how do ya know sometimes unless its immediate anaphylactic shock or something

SOC

SOC I know what you are saying, if vax do help prevent spread of disease than thats good, but dilemma is how to know if you're an outlier before you do it or may not know the bad effects if get them, could be indirect, my autoimmune symptoms worsen the same year I had the tetanus shot, but I also had a root canal around then too and other stressors so how do ya know sometimes unless its immediate anaphylactic shock or something

I know exactly what you mean. Most PWME are outliers to some extent where vax are concerned, and I think you're right to be concerned. :) If I were in your shoes, I'd check with the doc treating your Sjogren's and see what s/he says.

I'm surprised that an employer can force you to have a vaccination. That seems to violate some basic rights. I suppose health care industries might be able to do it...? Sucks we have to think about these things all the time, doesn't it?