• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu like symptoms - medication side effect or new symptoms?

So I've been taking prozac (fluoxetine) 10 mg for just over two months. From about 4 weeks in I've been getting quite bad flu type feelings - muscle aches, swimming head and weakness. Also I have been sleeping more and just generally feeling like I've got the flu (even though I'm sure I haven't). Further flu like symptoms were sneezing and feeling a constant mucus drip down the back of my throat, and every now and then a sore throat.

These feelings aren't constant, and even got better for a couple of days before resurfacing in much the same manner. I even rested on the days I felt better, as is the sensible thing to do when coming out of a crash. But this rest was to no avail. Some days I have to lie down all day and hardly have energy to move, whereas others I have a couple of hours or so where I feel a little more normal, before the fluiness returns.

Before starting the fluoxetine, I was doing a lot better physically, and the symptoms I am now experiencing are new to me in many ways. I have had flu type feelings before, but never for such an extended period as this, nor quite as severe. My previous crashes presented in different symptoms to those that are currently hanging about.

So to sum things up, do any of you have similar side effects from taking antidepressants? Or other medications? It seems like my immune system is playing up in some way and maybe I’m clutching at straws trying to blame the medication rather than the illness.

alkt

to answer your question in the first year of this illness my doctor gave me fluoxitine not sure about the spelling but they were supposed to be the new magic pill for mild/reactive depression. i do not remember any positve or negative effects even though i took them for six months. as for the flue like symptoms and sore throat also nasal drip have been a constant and recurring symptom made worse by doing anything mentally taxing and of course any real physical activity just increases the pain levels. many people on this site have reported the same symptoms unfortunately enforced rest from mental as well as physical activity seems to be the only way of reducing the fluey feeling.

to answer your question in the first year of this illness my doctor gave me fluoxitine not sure about the spelling but they were supposed to be the new magic pill for mild/reactive depression. i do not remember any positve or negative effects even though i took them for six months. as for the flue like symptoms and sore throat also nasal drip have been a constant and recurring symptom made worse by doing anything mentally taxing and of course any real physical activity just increases the pain levels. many people on this site have reported the same symptoms unfortunately enforced rest from mental as well as physical activity seems to be the only way of reducing the fluey feeling.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah these symptoms seems to be quite common for m.e/cfs. At first I did assume it was flare up in symptoms rather than the medication; but the fact that rest from both physical and mental activities hasn't helped was making me wonder whether something else was causing the fluiness.

Also because the symptoms were so different to what I have had before - normally I just have muscle aches in my legs, but this time it was mainly stomach and arms - It maybe points towards another factor at play.

No way to know if it's the case, but all your recent problems are among known potential side effects of prozac. Probably the only way to find out if it's the drug is to come off it for a while and see if you improve. Personally, that's what I would want to do in your situation.

Thanks. I think that is the best way forward and only way to find out for certain, like you say. I will come off for maybe a month and see what happens to the symptoms over that time.

sarah darwins

Thanks. I think that is the best way forward and only way to find out for certain, like you say. I will come off for maybe a month and see what happens to the symptoms over that time.
I think that's wise, just in case (be nice if it is that). Again, if it was me, I'd go off for at least 6 weeks since it took 4 weeks for the symptoms to develop. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

Indeed, it would be great if it was just the medication! Yeah that's a good idea as well to give it a bit longer, especially given the half life and mechanism of action of fluoxetine. Thanks, I will post back if and when I find any specific cause for the current symptoms.