• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu-like body ache

Shell

To be honest Andrew there's not a lot I've found that helps.
If you can cope with a hot bath or warming up some olive oil and rubbing it in the worst joints it might help a little, but the effort can make the pain worse, so see what you think.
I also use those nukable lavender pillows or cold gel packs depending on whether the pain is "hot" or "cold" if you know what I mean.
Other than that in extremis I take extra amitriptylene and it knocks me out.

I hope you find something that helps.
Do you have regular pain meds?

I don't do well with many medications, so for me it's long hot baths and/or Icy Hot or similar liniment. When it's really bad, I use a combination of both. The Icy Hot seems to work best when my skin is warm and damp and the pores are open.

SOC

Cymbalta was the biggest help for me, but not everyone can tolerate it. Cymbalta cuts my flu-like aches and pains back enough that even when it breaks through, OTC painkillers could handle the rest.

Epsom salt baths could sometimes take the edge off the flu-like body aches. Top that off with some ibuprofen or the like and get some sleep if you can manage it. That's all I found to reduce the misery pre-Cymbalta.

caledonia

I discovered two things that cause these, and thus two ways to fix them:
  1. Yeast/candida - causes flu-like aches, extra tired, and low fever - take herbal antifungals such as cat's claw, Caprylistat (capryilic acid) or grapeFRUIT seed extract (GSE). You should know within a few days if this is going to work
  2. Heavy metal detox - flu-like aches and extra tired - reduce whatever you're taking that's causing the detox - methylation supps, metal detox supps, alpha lipoic acid, cilantro, etc. This should also hopefully clear within a few days.

*GG*

Any way to reduce the flu-like body ache??? It is very bad for me right now.

LDN perhaps? Not sure, I don't feel as achy as I used to, but I changed a lot of things around the same time over 3.5 years ago after having a major crash! I think I noticed last summer that I was not as achy, when I got back on my bicycle for some exercise.

GG

SOC

I discovered two things that cause these, and thus two ways to fix them:
  1. Yeast/candida - causes flu-like aches, extra tired, and low fever - take herbal antifungals such as cat's claw, Caprylistat (capryilic acid) or grapeFRUIT seed extract (GSE). You should know within a few days if this is going to work
  2. Heavy metal detox - flu-like aches and extra tired - reduce whatever you're taking that's causing the detox - methylation supps, metal detox supps, alpha lipoic acid, cilantro, etc. This should also hopefully clear within a few days.

Reactivation of viral illness is another culprit for flu-like body aches.

Andrew

Thanks for the tips.

I took a warm bath tonight, and while I was in it I felt a lot better. An hour after I got out, I felt awful again. This is new to me because hot baths used to last me longer than that.

I also remembered I have a prescription for Tramadol I never tried. I took one and noticed no difference. I wonder if this is the kind of thing one needs to take for a few days before it starts having an effect. Maybe it has to build up in the blood. I guess I should try it a few days.

I wonder if this could be one of those colds that sneak in on us and we don't notice them because we always feel sick. I wish I new what was going on. I've gotten worse before, but never like this.

Shell

Andrew :hug: sorry it's so tough for you right now. Tramadol does take a couple of days to kick in but it can leave you stoned. Now, if you can get stoned and lie down a bit that might help (when I was on it I was trying to care for my kids -not good).
Pain is a really difficult thing to get on top of. You may need a few doc visits before you find the thing that works for you.
Gabapentin is another suggestion. I've never tried it but I know it's worked for a lot of people.

I have also taken over the counter Pink Migreleve - which can take the edge off.

Seven7

Seven
This is crazy but mine gets better with a little walk and/or alkaline drops. For me 100% time I get them because I Pushed my inmune system to much (or drank tea like echinecea) so I just cut back on whatever meds I increased or cut back any food / tea that touches the inmune system.

PennyIA

I took a warm bath tonight, and while I was in it I felt a lot better. An hour after I got out, I felt awful again. This is new to me because hot baths used to last me longer than that.

I found that epsom salt baths helped more - I too would have a regular bath (or hot tub soak) and find it would help while in it, but the pain would come right back after getting out. It was adding epsom salt that helped me most dramatically. Pre-finding epsom salt baths - I'd try heating pads with so-so results.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I have flu like pain in all my muscles and joints, which is stronger at my toe and finger joints. Also curiously, despite there aren't muscles there, the other place where this pain is stronguers is in my gums. How is your pain distributed? anybody has the same pattern as me? My pain feels exactly as the pain you get from the flu, only that it has lasted for 14 years...

SOC

I have flu like pain in all my muscles and joints, which is stronger at my toe and finger joints. Also curiously, despite there aren't muscles there, the other place where this pain is stronguers is in my gums. How is your pain distributed? anybody has the same pattern as me? My pain feels exactly as the pain you get from the flu, only that it has lasted for 14 years...
Mine was (and occasionally is) mostly knees and elbows followed by wrists and ankles. I also get pain in my gums, teeth, and jaw. I was told that that is probably referred pain from swollen lymph nodes and/or parotid glands.

taniaaust1

sorry. I didnt find much to help that symptom (thou I never was given any prescription drugs by the doctors to trial with it). Hot baths were the only thing which used to relieve it some.

lauluce .. my finger joint pains used to move around a lot. Be in different fingers at times. I myself thought the joints where my pain was did look a little swollen at times but the doctor didnt think so. I nowdays thou dont get that symptom (well had it only once or twice last year but early years of my ME.. I had it all the time.. wandering finger joint pain along with pains everywhere else too).

barbc56

I just saw this post. Tramadal really helps me. However, I take two pills (100mg.) which for me lasts longer, works faster, so end up taking less of the Tramadal than if I just take the one pill. I have never felt high.

the only thing that helps the cause of my body ache is to cut out any and all starch from my diet and eat only leafy vegetables, fats and meats. Other things mask the pain but I know the inflammation is still present doing damage