• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu and PEM

Plum

I have been severely ill for 6 years now and 2 weeks ago came down with my first flu (or cold) since becoming so ill.
I am struggling to get better - not surprised by this! Flu symptoms are mostly gone but my fatigue is the worst it's ever been. Worse than after I had surgery! I can't do anything without collapsing.

Curious how long it's taken other people to get better from things like the flu?

Thanks

meandthecat

Curious how long it's taken other people to get better from things like the flu?
Hi Plum like you I have had the first flu since I got ill this winter and it keeps coming back but with less overt flu and more PEM. My wife had worse flu symptoms than me, I guess my immune system is worn out by it all.
It may be that I have less resources than usual and so what I would often get away with now tips me into PEM.

I started with flu after Xmas and every 3 weeks or so have another round, fed-up doesn't really cover it

Invisible Woman

I don't really get flu properly anymore - just a mild dose for a day or so that then becomes a relapse. How long does it take to recover? In my experience it takes as long as it takes...it varies depending on all sorts.

I have found the best way to move forward is to go with it. Get enough rest and try not to push yourself or stress about it (easier said than done).

Watch cold and flu meds as a lots of them contain epinephrine or pseudo epinephrine. These are based on the adrenaline molecule and for sensitive folk can act like a stimulant.

Hope you feel better soon.

Plum

Watch cold and flu meds as a lots of them contain epinephrine or pseudo epinephrine. These are based on the adrenaline molecule and for sensitive folk can act like a stimulant.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for the tip. I avoid almost all medication and stayed away from everything with the flu. I'm very wary of what those things really do to you!
I was surprised to get the flu. My partner hardly ever gets ill. This is the 2nd time in 6 years and he kindly shared it with me!

MikeJackmin

I got knocked down hard by a virus early in January. I'm just feeling mostly myself now.

It takes as long as it takes. Hopefully it'll surprise you and you'll have a short visit with it.