1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FLASH: CDC/NIH using Wichita, Georgia samples

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by hvs, Oct 29, 2009.

1. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Per CDC representative at CFSAC meeting a couple minutes ago:
    The CDC is relying on an NIH retrovirology lab to replicate Mikovits study. He just stated that they will be using Wichita and Georgia so-called CFS patients to replicate the study. Some fraction of Whittemore-Peterson patients will be used.

For those who aren't aware, the CDC's/Reeves' definition of CFS patients, as identified in those areas, enveloped individuals suffering from depression and significant obesity.

In sum, the NIH can't possibly replicate the Mikovits study by studying those non-CFS patients.
  2. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Update: Klimas challenged CDC representative on their poor cohorts.
  3. calzy

calzy Senior Member

Naples Florida
    thank you..thank you

keep the news coming, cant get it on my computor
  4. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    Is this US only? Can anyone outside the US see it??
  5. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    I can see it now! I was clicking on the wrong link! Doh!!
  6. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Ms. Whittemore indicated that she did NOT know that the NIH was using their samples. She then indicated her concern that the NIH lab was using the right techniques.
  7. Summer

Summer Senior Member

It's true I am getting the feed. That's why Reeves could say they would not replicate it. :rolleyes:
  8. I am almost in tears that they did not want to let Whittemore speak.
  9. hvs

hvs Senior Member

The federal agent did not want her to speak on the grounds that she was somehow not on the agenda (strange, since presumably Peterson was there as a rep. of the WPI); the chairman of the CFSAC said "screw the rules" and had her come up.
  10. She told 'em, too, lolol. LOVED it...
  11. anne

anne Guest

Mrs. Whittemore was on fire. She is glorious.
  12. Tree

Tree

northern Colorado
    What Annette Whittemore said was so moving. It was a beautiful statement, and very powerful at the end when she honored those who have died, including by suicide, before they could be helped by this important work.

Bravo to the chair who used his authority to make sure she got a chance to speak, overruling Wanda the agenda-keeper.

Looked like Peterson got a standing o after his presentation. This really is a new day!

Speaking now is Dr. Coffin from Tufts Univ. He's been doing retrovirus research for 40 years, jeez!

The best thing for me so far is how so many people, including Nancy Klimas, really called the CDC guy (Mike Miller, I think his name is) on Reeves' comments. Mike said he couldn't comment on Reeves' comments. But it was heartening to see so many people speak to the CDC's biases, past failures, and flawed priorities for future research.
  13. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Where are you all getting this information from?
  14. Jessrose21

Jessrose21

Farmington, NY
    I love that Annette called for a congressional hearing!
  15. Jessrose21

Jessrose21

Farmington, NY
    http://videocast.nih.gov/

Click to watch the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee Meeting Day one (not the mHealth Summit!) :)
  16. KC22

KC22 Senior Member

Ohio
    Keep it coming..

if you can. I missed this morning. I will try again for the afternoon.

Did I miss how many people showed?? Did we fill the chairs??

Great info coming this way....Thanks..:)
  17. Tree

Tree

northern Colorado
    link to CFSAC page

Neilk, we are watching this live. Go to this page of the CFSAC site, and on the right, click on the link to watch. You will have to download realplayer. Let me know if that doesn't take you to it, I will find you another link.

http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/index.html

oh good, I see others beat me to it, and gave you a better, more direct link!

I think this whole meeting's video may be archived and watchable later, not sure about that, but I seem to recall seeing that possibility.
  18. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Thank you Jessrosr21!
  19. Robin

Robin Guest

Coffin says that XMRV is more like Feline Leukemia than HIV in that it doesn't mutate quickly and that makes it promising for a vaccine but not for anti-viral treatment. :(

He says 99% who have HIV eventually will get AIDS with no treatment, but, how many people who have XMRV have CFS? He says this is just one study, a good study, but there a volumes of information in which so much is not known.
  20. hvs

hvs Senior Member

If you want to see what we're up against, watch the CDC guy. He referred to testing people for "unwellness." Among their exciting studies in response to these findings will be to look for unwellness in teens who live in group homes, or some such.

See more popular forum discussions.