1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

flagyl is killing me yet i can't get rid of the giardia

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by sela, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sela

sela Senior Member

marin co, ca
    i am in so much oxidative stress that i can't tolerate the treatment, it makes me so ill. and it is not working anyway. the giardia came back. any suggestions?
  2. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    The thing that worked for me right away was Tindamax(Tinidazole). Many doctors in the US don't know about it, but it is the treatment of choice in tropical areas where giardia is common. I had to suggest it to my doctor, who looked it up and then prescribed it.
    I had been trying to treat with natural methods and nothing would touch it--I let it go on for way too long and got really sick.
    I felt better within one day of taking the tinidazole!
  3. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    For a long time my doctor thought I could not take flagyl because I am allergic to that class of antibiodics. That is until they accidentally gave it to me in the hospital and I did not have an allergic reaction. Anyway, they used to give me an antibiotic that came in a cream and you apply it to the vaginal area the same way you apply yeast infection medicine. I have tried to remember the name, but can't. I think it may be the tinidazole Leela is talking about. However, if you have time, maybe you can try to google it. For me it works way better than the Flagyl.
  4. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Flagyl only works in about 85 percent of cases of giardia. Has your doctor ever mentioned furazolidone because it is supposed to be effective. My SIL and brother both got giardia after a tropical trip and they are both very healthy and they both said side effects to flagyl were horrible. I hope you find something very soon that helps. Definitely ask your doctor for something else. KJM.

See more popular forum discussions.