• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

Adlyfrost

Note about store-bought vs. homemade chicken broth/stock

Store bought chicken stock is lower in fat and calories than homemade and is likely not made with bones. So it is a different food. When I was in bed and it was difficult to cook or I was too nauseated to smell food this was a great option. Still extremely beneficial in healing the gut because of the high protein content! But I would not want to fast on it- could overload kidneys.

Homemade (cooked with whole carcass) is higher in minerals and fat and as long as one throws in some veggies, a complete food- you could live off it. Benefits are high in collagen and minerals and I think easier on the kidneys- so one fast on it The saturated fat stimulates my immune system too. I really can feel the difference on this stuff- more than the store-bought. The bad things about it are: the cooking time, smell (if you are sensitive) and if one cannot tolerate saturated fat.

If one did want to do homemade chicken broth WITHOUT fat, just cook for 2 hours, let cool, mke sure chicken completely covered with water then chill. The fat will rise to the top in the fridge overnight and you can scrape it off. It is the yellow gel. Don't scrape off the clear gel- it is the collagen.

I also notice that the fat becomes emulsified by the other ingredients somehow after cooking it for more than 5 hours and by that time has developed a very nice non-oily consistency and taste.

Last edited:

Adlyfrost

@Sinclair : I recommend leaving most of the meat meat on the bones. The meat not only makes it taste better, but adds most of the protein. I just came across an article talking about how the inosinic acid in chicken meat turns to inosine in the body- perhaps that accounts for some of the anti-viral properties of the broth? Not sure.

I have also read that microwaving kills some of the properties of broth- best to stove top reheat. I keep pouring water in and reheating on stove until bones are mushy and the chicken meat tastes like cardboard. (Then I give it to my dogs).

I also found that the broth will only help to a point. It got me free and clear of severe flu like symptoms! And for that I am grateful. I was on a JUST broth and fresh raw greens diet for sometime. I thought I was cured. I was planning my tour around the world and TV interviews for curing chronic fatigue, :rolleyes: LOL!

But it did not bring my energy back for good because eventually my hormones got out of whack because I just wasn't getting enough calories. But it did get me out of "in bed sick all day" and into recovery mode!!! And I have never stopped taking it since: first thing in the morning with my herbal anti-virals and knock on wood, the flu part of my illness has stayed away unless I indulge in one of my triggers (exercising in cold weather, etc.).

I wish you all the best in a complete recovery very soon! :)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I also found that the broth will only help to a point. It got me free and clear of severe flu like symptoms! And for that I am grateful. I was on a JUST broth and fresh raw greens diet for sometime.

Are you sure it wasn't the greens that helped? Cruciferous vegetables are very good for gut function. I have noticed a difference when I have not had cabbage for a while (not good). So I try to have some every day.

Adlyfrost

Are you sure it wasn't the greens that helped? Cruciferous vegetables are very good for gut function. I have noticed a difference when I have not had cabbage for a while (not good). So I try to have some every day.

Yes. At one point I had to stop even the greens and go to just broth because of the sugar content. The sugar is very low in greens but still too much when I am very sick. Especially in the winter. Only eating the broth healed my gut and made me better. One day without it and I was in back in bed. I am sure.

Sinclair

In pages 11-12 of this interesting thread @end and others discuss the difference between powder L-Glutamine and enteric coated L-Glutamine.

I've been on 1000 mg daily for 50 days with good results.

When my enteric coated tablets finished, however, I pretended to replace them with powder, which caused severe anxiety and other neuro bad effects. I first thought it was a dosage problem, but even with tiny doses the bad effects appear.

Now I understand better why: the powder in connection with stomach acid is ruinous for us, a contact avoided by the enteric coating barrier. But I am not clear whether the conversion to glutamate takes place similarly with either form. Since glutamate production seems something to be avoided in neuro inflammation (Yasko, Wahl), I am still not clear how to resolve the trade-off between enteric coated Glutamine intake and glutamate associated problems.

Any further insights or experiencies regarding this?

My plan now is to throw out the powder and get enteric coated tablets again.

Many Thanks!

MeSci

In pages 11-12 of this interesting thread @end and others discuss the difference between powder L-Glutamine and enteric coated L-Glutamine.

When my enteric coated tablets finished, however, I pretended to replace them with powder, which caused severe anxiety and other neuro bad effects. I first thought it was a dosage problem, but even with tiny doses the bad effects appear.

Now I understand better why: the powder in connection with stomach acid is ruinous for us, a contact avoided by the enteric coating barrier. But I am not clear whether the conversion to glutamate takes place similarly with either form. Since glutamate production seems something to be avoided in neuro inflammation (Yasko, Wahl), I am still not clear how to resolve the trade-off between enteric coated Glutamine intake and glutamate associated problems.

Many Thanks!

I take about 8-10g glutamine powder a day (for over 2 years now), and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

I was taking a teaspon of powder for about 6 months last year
L-glutamine was first calming me down but then at some point it flipped and before I realized I was in the biggest episode of anxiety ever. Exhausted, lightheaded and totally down. It helped me realize how big impact anxiety has on my life and my energy levels.
The way back was long, im on low dose of Lexapro now, high doses of B complex and iron and feeling much better.
My stomach problems improved greatly, not sure how much of that to attribute to the l-glutamine and how much to the right probiotics(after testing) and the Lexapro

end

Many Thanks!

@Sinclair

I am both glad and not glad :) that there are several others who can NOT tolerate Glutamine in powder form, like myself. EC Glutamine is fine.

Not sure if your suspected Enterovirus infection and my confirmed Enterovirus infection via VP1 Protein stain(Dr John Chia)shares any sort of connection with our intolerance? thought I would bring it up anyway.

physicsstudent13

I had bad nausea and vomiting even from drinking water for 6 years and I went to several GI doctors who never diagnosed me with parasites. I took 2 weeks of albendazole/pyrantel along with some antibiotics along the way and it was cured. My b12 level was 200 about 6 years ago.

PeterPositive

I had bad nausea and vomiting even from drinking water for 6 years and I went to several GI doctors who never diagnosed me with parasites. I took 2 weeks of albendazole/pyrantel along with some antibiotics along the way and it was cured. My b12 level was 200 about 6 years ago.
Did you take those drugs without any specific diagnosis of parasitic infection?

physicsstudent13

yes I wasn't diagnosed, but I was beginning to really suffer from constant nausea and my doctors never did anything. I had even given up telling them my symptoms.
It was RIDICULOUS I returned from a trip and should have been given the dose 6 years ago. I told my internist I was nauseous after drinking water and she insisted on having stool samples (which by the way are extremely inaccurate). and then she later yelled at me on the phone telling me that I asked for too many tests and kicked me out of her practice
she was malicious, she said I looked pale and treated me for anemia and then she never gave me medication for worms even though I had been overseas

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone can help??? For the last three years I have struggled with leaky gut,caused by candida, chronic stress and a nasty stomach bug. At this point, I am intolerant to all food and just live off liquidised chicken, turkey, brocolli, cauliflower or spring greens as these seem to give me the least reactions. I take lots of supplements like querticin, digestive enzymes, zinc and magnesium.Have tried everything to heal gut, I can't tolerate bone broth at all.....am getting so desperate as I have no quality of life and if I dont recover soon I will loose my house as I cannot work at present.

MeSci

try a course of albendazole+pyrantel+praziquantel for 14 days, wait a few days and see if you still have symptoms and then repeat it a 2nd and 3rd time. I would not resort to PPIs and ranitidine

We shouldn't make definitive recommendations on Phoenix Rising. It's OK to say something like "Ask your doctor if they think you could try..." or "I/some people have found that...helps."

http://www.doctor-natasha.com/ The book was already mentioned here. This book describes very detailed the leaky gut phenomenon. It is the most detailed book on that matter I came across. Also it provides a detailed strategy to heal the leaky gut including recepies (e.g. meat stock/ bone broth). It was written for ADHD, dyslexiia and autism sufferers but if we follow the argumentation here that this is applicable for CFS/ME too there are many valuable explanations in it.
I am not a fan of strictly following one strategy only, so I do not see this book as the bible. Nevertheless I use it as a resource and guideline. Since it is difficult to pick out her exact arguments and strategy from the written text I made a structured guideline for myself what GAPS recommends. Maybe it is of help for anyone, therefore I publish it here.

Attachments

• GAPS diet structured overview v1.pdf
    80.2 KB · Views: 66

Critterina

I am not a fan of strictly following one strategy only, so I do not see this book as the bible. Nevertheless I use it as a resource and guideline. Since it is difficult to pick out her exact arguments and strategy from the written text I made a structured guideline for myself what GAPS recommends. Maybe it is of help for anyone, therefore I publish it here.
Thanks for posting this - it made it clear instantaneously that a GAPS diet and histamine intolerance are completely incompatible due to the fermented foods and/or juices, which are full of histamines.

Yes, there is a simple test for leaky gut called the lactulose/mannitol test.
Re the lactulose/mannitol test -- where can one get such a test? [I am in the UK and assume the NHS won't do it]. Thank you.

Hip

Re the lactulose/mannitol test -- where can one get such a test? [I am in the UK and assume the NHS won't do it]. Thank you.

Biolab do a polyethylene glycol intestinal permeability test (polyethylene glycol is a more comprehensive test, checking both the small intestine and colon for leakiness; the lactulose/mannitol test by contrast only checks the small intestine).

Another UK test is here (Cyrex test): Leaky Gut / Intestinal Permeability Test | Smart Nutrition

Some info about the Cyrex test is here and here.