Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Hip, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    @Sinclair : I recommend leaving most of the meat meat on the bones. The meat not only makes it taste better, but adds most of the protein. I just came across an article talking about how the inosinic acid in chicken meat turns to inosine in the body- perhaps that accounts for some of the anti-viral properties of the broth? Not sure.

I have also read that microwaving kills some of the properties of broth- best to stove top reheat. I keep pouring water in and reheating on stove until bones are mushy and the chicken meat tastes like cardboard. (Then I give it to my dogs).

I also found that the broth will only help to a point. It got me free and clear of severe flu like symptoms! And for that I am grateful. I was on a JUST broth and fresh raw greens diet for sometime. I thought I was cured. I was planning my tour around the world and TV interviews for curing chronic fatigue, :rolleyes: LOL!

But it did not bring my energy back for good because eventually my hormones got out of whack because I just wasn't getting enough calories. But it did get me out of "in bed sick all day" and into recovery mode!!! And I have never stopped taking it since: first thing in the morning with my herbal anti-virals and knock on wood, the flu part of my illness has stayed away unless I indulge in one of my triggers (exercising in cold weather, etc.).

I wish you all the best in a complete recovery very soon! :)

angee111 likes this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Are you sure it wasn't the greens that helped? Cruciferous vegetables are very good for gut function. I have noticed a difference when I have not had cabbage for a while (not good). So I try to have some every day.

Kenshin and Adlyfrost like this.
  3. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    Yes. At one point I had to stop even the greens and go to just broth because of the sugar content. The sugar is very low in greens but still too much when I am very sick. Especially in the winter. Only eating the broth healed my gut and made me better. One day without it and I was in back in bed. I am sure.

South likes this.
  4. Sinclair

Sinclair Senior Member

In pages 11-12 of this interesting thread @end and others discuss the difference between powder L-Glutamine and enteric coated L-Glutamine.

I've been on 1000 mg daily for 50 days with good results.

When my enteric coated tablets finished, however, I pretended to replace them with powder, which caused severe anxiety and other neuro bad effects. I first thought it was a dosage problem, but even with tiny doses the bad effects appear.

Now I understand better why: the powder in connection with stomach acid is ruinous for us, a contact avoided by the enteric coating barrier. But I am not clear whether the conversion to glutamate takes place similarly with either form. Since glutamate production seems something to be avoided in neuro inflammation (Yasko, Wahl), I am still not clear how to resolve the trade-off between enteric coated Glutamine intake and glutamate associated problems.

Any further insights or experiencies regarding this?

My plan now is to throw out the powder and get enteric coated tablets again.

Many Thanks!

dadouv47, Hanna and end like this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I take about 8-10g glutamine powder a day (for over 2 years now), and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

dadouv47 likes this.
  6. tinek

tinek

NYC suburbs - Bergen co
    I was taking a teaspon of powder for about 6 months last year
    L-glutamine was first calming me down but then at some point it flipped and before I realized I was in the biggest episode of anxiety ever. Exhausted, lightheaded and totally down. It helped me realize how big impact anxiety has on my life and my energy levels.
    The way back was long, im on low dose of Lexapro now, high doses of B complex and iron and feeling much better.
    My stomach problems improved greatly, not sure how much of that to attribute to the l-glutamine and how much to the right probiotics(after testing) and the Lexapro

end likes this.
  7. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

If something forced me to choose between taking l-glutamine or snake venom it wouldn't be a quick decision. Glutamine is like poison to me.

Changexpert and end like this.
  8. end

end

@Sinclair

I am both glad and not glad :) that there are several others who can NOT tolerate Glutamine in powder form, like myself. EC Glutamine is fine.

Not sure if your suspected Enterovirus infection and my confirmed Enterovirus infection via VP1 Protein stain(Dr John Chia)shares any sort of connection with our intolerance? thought I would bring it up anyway.

Sinclair likes this.
  9. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I also wonder if there is an enterovirus connection with the glutamine

Sinclair likes this.
  10. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

US
    I had bad nausea and vomiting even from drinking water for 6 years and I went to several GI doctors who never diagnosed me with parasites. I took 2 weeks of albendazole/pyrantel along with some antibiotics along the way and it was cured. My b12 level was 200 about 6 years ago.

11. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Did you take those drugs without any specific diagnosis of parasitic infection?

12. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

US
    yes I wasn't diagnosed, but I was beginning to really suffer from constant nausea and my doctors never did anything. I had even given up telling them my symptoms.
    It was RIDICULOUS I returned from a trip and should have been given the dose 6 years ago. I told my internist I was nauseous after drinking water and she insisted on having stool samples (which by the way are extremely inaccurate). and then she later yelled at me on the phone telling me that I asked for too many tests and kicked me out of her practice
    she was malicious, she said I looked pale and treated me for anemia and then she never gave me medication for worms even though I had been overseas

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  13. Scoobieworld

Scoobieworld

I don't know if anyone can help??? For the last three years I have struggled with leaky gut,caused by candida, chronic stress and a nasty stomach bug. At this point, I am intolerant to all food and just live off liquidised chicken, turkey, brocolli, cauliflower or spring greens as these seem to give me the least reactions. I take lots of supplements like querticin, digestive enzymes, zinc and magnesium.Have tried everything to heal gut, I can't tolerate bone broth at all.....am getting so desperate as I have no quality of life and if I dont recover soon I will loose my house as I cannot work at present.

14. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    We shouldn't make definitive recommendations on Phoenix Rising. It's OK to say something like "Ask your doctor if they think you could try..." or "I/some people have found that...helps."

dadouv47, Sparrowhawk and Valentijn like this.
  15. malk

malk

I am not a fan of strictly following one strategy only, so I do not see this book as the bible. Nevertheless I use it as a resource and guideline. Since it is difficult to pick out her exact arguments and strategy from the written text I made a structured guideline for myself what GAPS recommends. Maybe it is of help for anyone, therefore I publish it here.

Attached Files:

Hanna, Theodore, jepps and 1 other person like this.
  16. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks for posting this - it made it clear instantaneously that a GAPS diet and histamine intolerance are completely incompatible due to the fermented foods and/or juices, which are full of histamines.

PeterPositive likes this.
  17. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Good ol' stress is also linked to leaky gut:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24153250

18. willg

willg

Re the lactulose/mannitol test -- where can one get such a test? [I am in the UK and assume the NHS won't do it]. Thank you.

19. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Biolab do a polyethylene glycol intestinal permeability test (polyethylene glycol is a more comprehensive test, checking both the small intestine and colon for leakiness; the lactulose/mannitol test by contrast only checks the small intestine).

Another UK test is here (Cyrex test): Leaky Gut / Intestinal Permeability Test | Smart Nutrition

Some info about the Cyrex test is here and here.

vaer likes this.
  20. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    @Scoobieworld ,
    It's been 2 years since this post. I was wondering if you're feeling better - or even still around. When I was at my worst in food intolerance, the thing that helped the most was a three-day fast of only water that my doctor recommended. Not everyone is a good candidate for one, and I think that doing a version of the 4R gut rebuild program for 8 weeks beforehand helped. If you're still struggling, ask you doctor if he/she thinks you could attempt a fast.
    Best wishes,
    Crit

See more popular forum discussions.