The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Five molecules for future international studies on CFS have been identified

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This is a June update from IrsiCaixa AIDS Research Institute, in Spain, where Julià Blanco's team are carrying out community-funded biomedical ME/CFS research...
    http://www.irsicaixa.es/en/five-molecules-future-international-studies-cfs-have-been-identified

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    mango, justy, Battery Muncher and 3 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    This sounds hopeful. (I've got champagne but I'm leaving the cork in) ;)

As always because it's in science speak I have more trouble following along because I feel like I'm lacking context but it said the previous research was done with Fukuda criteria.

Any idea as to what they will use for identification of patients moving forward?

Bob likes this.
  4. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Professor Edwards, what do you think about this study and there 'potential immunological claims'?

5. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    @Jonathan Edwards Tagging him in case he wants to comment

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

There is close collaboration between Prof Blanco's group and groups in Norway, UK and Germany at least - with the common aim of clarifying the role of these marker molecules. Perhaps the most important aspect of discussions at the recent IiME colloquium on this was on reliability of testing with things like cytokines and frozen cell samples. The Blanco group are working hard on this and hopefully it will soon be possible for labs to exchange samples from different ME populations to compare findings. Everyone is being cautious about actually pinning down specific markers but I think the hunt is now concentrated enough to ensure that whatever is there to be found will show up over the next year or two.

Never Give Up, Daisymay, Kyla and 6 others like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    That's all rather good news. I didn't know that Prof Blanco is collaborating with others.

Daisymay likes this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

The EMERG project reflects the ongoing collaboration. So far much of the collaboration is in terms of comparing notes and discussion but samples are already moving around Europe but the hope is to make that much more organised.

Daisymay, mango and Bob like this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I thought Prof Blanco was rather isolated from the rest of the international ME/CFS community because we don't hear a great deal about his work. So the fact that you are all swapping/comparing notes is great news. The fact that you are actively engaging with each other and sharing samples is even better news!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    mango likes this.
  10. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

It's common sense and common practice to share samples with like minded people.

See more popular forum discussions.