Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FITNET’s Internet-Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Is Ineffective and May Impede Natural Recovery

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Aug 11, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Full text available at http://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/7/3/52

suseq, Artstu, Dolphin and 53 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Wow this is so good.

3. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

Excellent. Thank you @Mark Vink .

@charles shepherd can this be pointed out to NICE? And to the NHS who are funding the British trial on the basis of a false claim that the Dutch study was a success. It would be brilliant if the Crawley trial could be halted on the basis of this paper, but I guess that's too much to hope.

Edit to add. Thanks also to @docsimsim . I apologise for not realising you were also a member of PR, so could be thanked here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    suseq, Cornishbird, Barry53 and 25 others like this.
  4. docsimsim

docsimsim

London, UK
    Erm and me, I am co author. Thank you!

5. docsimsim

docsimsim

London, UK
    Thank you for sharing this here. Myself and Mark both very severe ME sufferers nearly killed ourselves writing this from our sick beds. Please share far and wide
    Ty
    Simin

6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Sorry to hear this. You did an outstanding job.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I had not picked up where the 63% and 8% actually came from when Dr Crawley quoted these as what the trial she was about to do was bound to confirm.

The whole sham business of these adolescent studies is totally unethical. I have not written that down before but I do now.

It also highlights the arrogance of people like Macleod who ridicule patient researchers.

8. docsimsim

docsimsim

London, UK
    TY

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  9. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

10. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Yes indeed, sincere thanks to you both, take care x

suseq, Dolphin, Mark Vink and 14 others like this.
  11. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

Sincere and humble apologies, @docsimsim . I only mentioned Mark Vink because I recognised his name as a member of PR. I did not realise you were a member too. Thank you for your brilliant work on this paper.

suseq, ukxmrv, ladycatlover and 16 others like this.
  12. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    Many thanks for your amazing work @docsimsim and @MarkVink

Wishing you both some peace and much needed rest after your amazing efforts, and obviously hoping the relapse is as short as possible. Take care :hug:

suseq, Dolphin, Mark Vink and 13 others like this.
  13. docsimsim

docsimsim

London, UK
    No need to apologise. I'm often too unwell to post on here but very grateful to see this review shared here. As you know, as we speak £1 million of NHS funds is being spent to replicate a trial which has so many flaws it should never have gone ahead, let alone be replicated. It's just easy money for a group of anti science psychs :(
    Regards

suseq, Esther12, Dolphin and 31 others like this.
  14. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    As a mother of an adolescent with ME I sincerely thank you both for your dedicated hard work. Unfortunately this age group tends to have an inordinate focus on it being " in your head". CBT seems to be deployed in much the same way as UK continues to have French as the main second language taught at school - not because it is of any particular use, but because we have a lot if teachers trained to teach it.

15. docsimsim

docsimsim

London, UK
    TY Jan xx

16. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    What a well written and informative paper, many thanks. I hope that it has some good effect and hope to use it in raising questions.

Apart from the importance, I also appreciate the effort and thought to make it layman friendly and the clarity of presentation.

17. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Ditto :) Excellent!

18. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Thank you for doing this! Many (err, most) of us are just trying to stay above metaphorical water as we can't produce an income & do the background tasks of living, much less be effective activists. We need people like you to speak for us, bc when we talk, no one listens.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm reading this now. It makes a lot of good points. Thanks to the authors for the effort that they put in.

One small correction I have just come across:
    Reference 47 refers to the SF-36 physical functioning subscale. That is not the same as the Physical functioning (Child Health Questionnaire).

The former has 10 questions, the latter nine:

20. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Hmm, I wonder who they might be then. Belief in one's improvement at best means supportive CBT may have helped. "Same as actual improvement" ... !!!

See more popular forum discussions.