1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fitbit: ultra-pedometer for auto-tracking activity

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Sasha, Sep 4, 2012.

1. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

I have just purchased the Fitbit One and have been wearing it for just over 2 days. I find it encourages me to get up and do a bit if I have been resting for a while. Have to say I was very pleased to see I have done around 5600 steps both days and even had 9 minutes of being "very active" when I was walking my dog.

Don't expect it to be so good every day though especially if I have a migraine when my energy nosedives.

Think I could get a bit obsessive about it.

Pam
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  2. Keela Too

Keela Too

N.Ireland
    Just thinking here Sasha - the Fitbit can't actually tell the difference between sleep and "being still". It is only a movement sensor.
    Sasha likes this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too

N.Ireland
    Be careful not to let it encourage you to do more. I have found that doing only a small bit extra over a period of several days can cause a flare - and some flares do not allow me to return to previous norms afterwards.

Perhaps I watch for patterns more than most .... I don't check it much throughout the day - maybe just at meal times. However it is the patterns over time that I think are important.

I've taken the scale and dates off this chart, but the comparisons over time are useful I think. The blue columns are my daily totals. The yellow line - 5 day rolling average. Red - 30 day rolling. Purple - 100 day. I think it is clear that doing extra causes problems afterwards - not at once but several days later.

Sadly as you can see I cannot yet try to build upwards.

FB chart.png
    Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.
  4. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

I am definitely only having normal days for me, haven't pushed myself apart from this afternoon when I get stuck in the park cos my dog kept running around like a mad thing. There were far too many people and dogs there so I couldn't even sit down because all the seats were taken. My body was screaming at me to rest so I won't go to that park again for a while. Soon the weather will change and it will be much quieter there.

Thankfully I have an oxygen concentrator which makes a huge difference to what I can do. After an occasion like this afternoon the first thing I do when home, after eating something is to use my concentrator to give me back some energy. No question when I am without it I feel terrible and have very little energy.

I find that I do about the same every day but not sure on the 2 days I do some voluntary work. It will be interesting to see if it is actually less on those days because I don't walk my dog in the afternoons.

Pam
  5. Keela Too

Keela Too

N.Ireland
    The dogs are my weakness too. I can't walk them as such, but use a mobility scooter to "walk" them.

Do you have the oxygen for ME or for another condition on top of ME? Do you think it helps the ME angle? Right now I'm struggling a bit.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Keela Too, Cool graph. Do you have software that does it for you. I hate to think of calculating all of those rolling averages by hand(held calculator). I hope that you find a way to get that purple line headed upward.
  7. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Yes the oxygen is for the ME. I had a specific test done last year at the Breakspear here in the UK on my autonomic nervous system and it showed I had less than 50% of the normal amount of oxygen in my cells and slightly too high carbon dioxide.

At first I hired one for a month but when I got a fantastic response right from the first time I used it I decided it was far better to purchase one myself. It cost me around £650 but is worth every penny. I use it every day for at least 30 minutes after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I definitely can push myself a little more because of the concentrator.

One other important thing I have noticed is that my immune system is so much stronger. I used to pick up every bug going around but this past year has been the best I have had in more than 20 years and it has to be to do with concentrator.

Pam
  8. Keela Too

Keela Too

N.Ireland

:) I just made and Excel spreadsheet and add "yesterday's steps" each morning.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  9. Keela Too

Keela Too

N.Ireland
    That is interesting. So it helps with recovery times? Also to allow you to do more? Perhaps I'll take a look at Breakspear....

I am just so frustrated at the moment, as I walk only about 800 steps each day, which is about 250 metres. That is spread through out the whole day now, not all at once! And as you see I'm sliding rather than improving.

And keeping my activity levels this low is very tough. I love to be out and about doing things.....
  10. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Yes it is really tough when one wants to do things but the body isn't up to it.

I should also add that the other massive benefit I got personally was treating my adrenals and thyroid. Since 2002 I have needed a steroid and dessicated thyroid. Without them I wouldn't be able to do anything apart from lie around and feel dreadful.

Its been a really long journey but at least I feel as if I have a life in which I can do some things.

Pam

See more popular forum discussions.