1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

fish oil???

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by boo85, Jul 7, 2013.

1. boo85

boo85

Is it still important to take fish oil to replace the myelin around the nerves? How do people here feel about fish oil?
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I don't know about myelin, but it's been amazing in helping keep my chronic headache away. About a day after I start on the fish oil (high EPA and DHA, 2-3 grams) the headache goes away. And if I forget to take it for a day or two, the headache comes back.

One of the cheapest and easiest ways to make life with ME less unpleasant :)
    Jacque and Star-Anise like this.
  3. Gypsy

Gypsy Senior Member

USA
    I think fish oil is one of those things you should take if you feel that it helps YOU. Some people do well on it, and like Valentijin, she gets definite positive results from it (which is awesome! How awesome is it to take a supplement and be able to say this DEFINITELY helps? Not very often in my experience!). Some seem to do worse with fish oil. Dosage may be key. More is not always better. I would get a high quality one if you are going to take it. Not a cheapo $5-$10 one from the drugstore.
    Valentijn and Star-Anise like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I read so much about the general health benefits of omega-3 oils that I have been taking it for years. The longer I take it, the more sensitive my digestive system becomes to it. I am currently taking some expensive, low dose fish oil gummies. I recently found some enteric coated fish oil capsules which I had high hopes for. I got diarrhea the first day I took one. They are 1000 mg. I am going to see if I can get some with a lower dose the next time I am at the health food store.
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I can't do "fish oil" because it will have shellfish or something like that which bothers me. I can't decide if the cod liver oil (I get a brand that's screened for toxins) is helping or not.

could you try flaxseed oil or nuts and see if you tolerate that better?
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  6. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    For anyone who hasn't researched fish oil much and plans to buys some, a word of caution: make sure you buy the pharmaceutical grade, molecularly distilled ones. They're the only ones guaranteed to have no heavy metals. Also a study came out recently that showed that many of the fish oils on store shelves are already rancid. So check the best by date and if they don't have one, don't buy it.
    Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.