1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fish oil Prescription-Lovaza. Does anybody take this?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by ggingues, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    If so, what is the difference between this and Fish Oil you would get at a Health Food store?

thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I took it for about 3 years due to my triglycerides were stubbornly elevated and I could not tolerate statins and didn't want to take them anyway. My triglycerides had been as high as 403 at one time, but generally stayed around 325 - 350 prior to Lovaza. After about 6 months on Lovaza they dropped to 250 to 275 (still too high), but didn't want anymore medication plus wanted the benefits of fish oil.

I quit taking the Lovaza about 3 months ago as the prescription ran out along with my insurance. I've noticed some changes, but can't contribute them to quitting the Lovaza until I resume taking some type of fish oil.

As far as the difference between Lovaza and commercially available fish oil is that I have no clue. Lovaza is Omega 3 ethyl esthers, which doesn't mean anything to me. My prescrition was for 4 grams a day, but i generally took only 3 grams. It never affected my LDL levels, liver test or caused an upset stomach.

The only comment that I can make is that it is not enteric coated, but it had no fishy after taste or burps.

Lovaza was covered by my insurance at the time, but was a Tier 2 which cost me $80 for a 90-day supply. It was a fair price for what I felt like was a high grade of fish oil.

If you have any more questions I'll certainly try to answer them

3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Thanks for your feedback!

See more popular forum discussions.