• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fish oil Causing more fatigue?

perchance dreamer

DHA from fish helped me through a mild depression, and I continue to take it. However, taking an algae-based DHA oil made me feel very tired and weird.

sflorence

@sflorence I was very deficient in omega 3's and found taking 1000-2000mg daily increased my levels within 2 months. My cognitive symptoms improved. My omeag 6's were decent levels so I took small amounts to balance it out.

I don't think it's necessary to take large amounts.

This is the kind of information I was looking for, thank you!

sflorence

I have a love-hate relationship with EPA/DHA from fish oil / krill oil.

It's one of the only few things that clears my ME-headache and depressive feeling that comes along with it. It also enhances my cognitive function, improves my dry skin and dry eyes. When i don't take it my eyes turn dry within a day.

On the other side it messes with my neurochemistry, i can get borderline hypomanic a day after taking EPA/DHA.
It irritates my small intestine sometimes. It also gives me a sluggish feeling, like it's impairing mitochondrial activity, a bit of a poisoned feeling, its hard to explain. It can also increase vasodilation which then aggravates my OI.

I suspect it's the EPA that messes with my neurochemistry and actually only DHA being helpful. I will therefore try a DHA-only supplement soon.

Have you tried switching up brands to see if the manic symptoms persist? Some companies do a poor job of filtering heavy metals from their fish oils.

After any exposures to heavy metals I get manic for a few days following.

Also, you should be taking a fish oil that (preferably) has a EPA/DHA ratio of about 2:1. Ultimately, you just want more EPA than DHA. I think I actually learned that from this forum :) I'll have to find the post again if you want a better explanation.

Valentijn

I take about 30g a take of NOW brand fish oil, and some plant based omega 6 supplement.

It seems that the fish oil has made my depression fade pretty nicely, but these past few days I have really been tired.
I don't have research to hand, but it seems to be commonly acknowledged that high doses of fish oil can cause hypotension. That could certainly manifest as feeling really tired.

Mor

I seem to do better on sardines rather than fish oil supplements. Not sure why that is? My body seems to hate fish oil and flax oil, as I only have neutral or negative experiences with them. I would keep taking them on and off because we're told how important they are.

I think people fear fish a bit too much, and might actually benefit more if they try it occasionally; like try some sardines.

Maybe daily fish oil supplements are more harm than good? Or depends on the person. Or maybe a problem is that they are usually taken daily? And skipping a day here and there might be better?

Last edited:

acer2000

I wonder if some adverse reactions to "fish oil" have to do with the source of the oil? Many fish oils are in part from Mackerel and that fish is known to be high in histamine. I don't know if that translates to the oil as well, or just the protein.

Whatever the cause, I don't do well on high dose fish oil. It seems to cause a mild depression and tiredness in me and absolutely kills my already low sex drive. I have tried several brands.

I don wonder if I'd do better on "salmon oil" though.

Jimbo39

I eat sushi in spite of potential bacterial infection. Sometimes I crave it. I read that cooking destroys RNA nucleotides so maybe that's it. It gives me an immediate lift. My tummy doesn't like sardines. Too oily?

Fish oil really helped me when my doc forced me to cold turkey Vicodin. I had severe glutamate excitotoxcity and practically brain dead for a year. I think you need to get a good quality oil that's not oxidized. I use Nordic Naturals.

@kangaSue I used to raise emus and your right, it's a great source of omegas. It also has great transdermal properties delivering whatever you want deep into the tissue. Probably cheaper down under?

stetson28

If it aint broke don't fix it...but.
I also get extremely lethargic fromfrom somet taking fish oi. I've heard several different theories about potentially bottoming out vitamin E during peroxidization as well as getting too much vitamin A ( toxicity). And thirdly needing gall bladder support , not enough digestive enzymes in the bile. Thanks