May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

First robust genetic links to depression emerge by focusing on severity. Relevant to ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    This new study has caused a stir, not so much for the findings themselves as for the approach that homed in on more severe cases.

Researchers have tried and failed before to find genes linked to depression, but now someone has done it, despite using a smaller sample (5,300 discovery phase, 3,000 validation phase) than previous unsuccessful attempts.

Sparse whole-genome sequencing identifies two loci for major depressive disorder : Nature
    The researchers recruited patients in China, reasoning that as depression is under-diagnosed there, only the more severe cases will be diagnosed (a view their data supported), and they also restricted the cohort to patients that were ethnically Han Chinese. Focusing on more severe cases increases the 'signal' strength and the ethnic focus reduces variablility ('noise') giving a stronger signal-to-noise ratio, making discoveries easier. (Focusing on severe cases may well also reduce noise/variability.)

An accompanying Nature News article highlighted the potential of this approach.

First robust genetic links to depression emerge : Nature News & Comment
    Maybe a similar approach would pay off in mecfs. And I sincerely hope researchers will be undertaking a serious search for a genetic links in mecfs in very large cohorts sooner rather than later.

Woolie, barbc56, ahmo and 12 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The interesting part:

According to the paper, the part that is not understood is in an intron of the LHPP gene, which contradicts what is said here in the article, because introns don't encode proteins.

I'm not expert so I'll leave room for others to comment on this.

Bob, ahmo, sarah darwins and 2 others like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

An element of this study that certainly commanded my attention, is that they recruited based on severity.

If only that would be done earnestly with ME/CFS patients.

Bob and Woolie like this.

See more popular forum discussions.